LED or low voltage wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Besides NM cable, what other cable is NEC compliant to be used for LED fixtures, with the drivers installed in a remote location?

Another words the cable is for the DC side of the fixture.

Thanks

Depends on the voltage. Some LED systems are designed to keep the DC under 50 volts, so almost anything is compliant. That is, the LEDs don't affect the cable selection, environmental and cost factors do. One company I know designed their product to use CAT5 or equivalent.

Do you have a specific system in mind?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Low voltage cable as used for landscape lighting can be used, but if run inside walls (or dead spaces in cabinets?) would have to be rated for concealed use. (CL type)

Tapatalk!

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Thanks for your replies.

The customer has decided to install the LED system and is installing 2 wire thermostat cable for the DC side of the LED drivers. It just looks funny to see thermostat cable feeding LED lights.

I guess there is always first time for everything and I will probably get used to it.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You are required to use a Chapter 3 method unless the power supply is listed as Class 2.

Even if the supply is listed as Class 2 using small gauge wire such as thermostat wire is a bad idea. The voltage drop is going to greatly effect the lighting performance. There is 10 times as much current on a 12 volt lighting system as there is for the same system operating at 120 volts.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
You are required to use a Chapter 3 method unless the power supply is listed as Class 2.

Even if the supply is listed as Class 2 using small gauge wire such as thermostat wire is a bad idea. The voltage drop is going to greatly effect the lighting performance. There is 10 times as much current on a 12 volt lighting system as there is for the same system operating at 120 volts.

I understand the current ratio of the high to low voltage.

SMHarman

2011 + NYC mods

2011 + NYC mods

How would this guidance change if this was in NYC.

I'm being told this has to be all 12/2 or 12/4 (for 4 Ch LED tape) BX which seems pretty intense for LED lights.

Breaker Panel > Lighting Panel > Transformer | ENTEC DMX Controllers > What Cable> > 12 or 24 V LED light fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.