Counter or Island?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
2014-04-13 14.53.53.jpg

My AHJ required me to install the receptacle in the fore ground stating this was an island. My take was that it is a counter and the receptacle on the knee wall was all that was needed. Who's right?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It is a peninsula (maybe).
The rules for that are different both from islands and from countertops which adjoin walls for their entire length.

Tapatalk!

PetrosA

I would call it a peninsula since it has three sides accessible and is attached to something on the fourth side. A counter (in my mind) needs to have a backsplash of some sort. An island would be completely freestanding.

The layout shown in the photo seems pretty odd to me. I can't tell if one, two or no sides of this will have seating, or if the rest of the kitchen is to the left or to the right of what we see. I don't think any of my inspectors would require an outlet in this unit, but I agree that it might be a good idea considering the length of the unit.

I had one customer recently who adapted a reclaimed freestanding cabinet as an island. It wasn't, however, attached to the floor. In that case the inspector let it go without power to it because it was technically portable but it sure looks like an island...

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I would go further and say that a counter must be (substantially) adjacent to a wall.
If there is no adjacent wall or minimal adjacent wall (as in the OP's case), then you would have an island or a peninsula respectively.
The receptacle spacing rules for a countertop just do not fit either of the other two situations well.

Tapatalk!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
One of our houses had an island-like counter unit on wheels.
We put in a floor receptacle where the island spent most of its time and wired a flexible cord to a receptacle below the counter on one side.
No inspector ever looked at that part.

Tapatalk!

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I would call it a peninsula since it has three sides accessible and is attached to something on the fourth side. A counter (in my mind) needs to have a backsplash of some sort. An island would be completely freestanding.

The layout shown in the photo seems pretty odd to me. I can't tell if one, two or no sides of this will have seating, or if the rest of the kitchen is to the left or to the right of what we see. I don't think any of my inspectors would require an outlet in this unit, but I agree that it might be a good idea considering the length of the unit.

I had one customer recently who adapted a reclaimed freestanding cabinet as an island. It wasn't, however, attached to the floor. In that case the inspector let it go without power to it because it was technically portable but it sure looks like an island...

The right side of this unit will have a 12" overhang to serve as a breakfast bar.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There's a wall behind it. Looks like a wall counter space to me.

Me too if you follow the requirements for peninsula or island in 210.52. An island would be freestanding and not against a wall. A peninsular countertop space according to 210.52(C)(3) attaches to a connecting edge of another counter top.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Does the fact those two outlets aren't centered drive anyone else crazy :lol:

There is cabinet hardware preventing the receptacle in the front from being centered and the wall receptacle will be close to centered when the countertop is installed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO, it's a peninsula and you will never get an agreement on this install. I have a very similar arrangement at my house but there is a 24' deep pantry on the kitchen side and open on the eating side. I have one on the wall to serve the peninsula but one could say the first 2' is counter and the rest is the peninsula. In that case both receptacles would be required.

We had some long threads on this issue. My point was if that counter shown had another counter that butted into it then 2 receptacles would be required. Take the counter away and just one. It doesn't make sense.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
If we consider that to be wall counter space then should we be putting outlets at the ends of the counters that butt the wall?

No, the wall receptacle is centered over a countertop that is 3' wide so the spacing requirement of 210.52(3)(C)(1) is met.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here are a few pics I modified for the occasion. In second pic reduce the connecting point to the same width as the island and you have pic 2. Why would that eliminate the need for the 2nd outlet?
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
maybe the first "minimum of 12x24" from the wall is "countertop" and the rest is "peninsula"? That leaves us needing an outlet for the countertop and an outlet for the peninsula.

Status
Not open for further replies.