Bronze split type ground clamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Screws for wood, sheet metal and sometimes plastic may create their own threads but are not considered self-tapping. But self tapping screws create machine threads, just not as neatly as a tap would, and not as many times. :)

Tapatalk!

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
One of the more readily available (in my area) manufacturers of fasteners that I stock my truck with is Metallics Inc. Their downloadable Section A of their catalog is headed "screws".

The reason I point you to this, is they, Metallics, show the lowly round head 1/4-20 combo (Phillips/slotted) as a "screws". BUT when sold in a kit, SEE pages A52 & A53, an interesting thing happens. Sold with 6-32, 8-32 & 10-32 without nuts or washers, the 1/4-20 is a "machine screw".

The same 1/4-20 on page A53 in a kit with nuts and washers becomes a stove bolt. Go figure.

I think this focus on what to call the threaded part of a ground clamp is missing the point Stew made back in post #11. Marky asked for a link to the UL Certifications Directory information:

KDER.E195975

Go down the page to the two entries titled: Bronze ground pipe clamps for bare wire The quote Stew gave is right there. Those model numbers of Raco water pipe ground clamps are OK for use with ground rods.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
One of the more readily available (in my area) manufacturers of fasteners that I stock my truck with is Metallics Inc. Their downloadable Section A of their catalog is headed "screws".

The reason I point you to this, is they, Metallics, show the lowly round head 1/4-20 combo (Phillips/slotted) as a "screws". BUT when sold in a kit, SEE pages A52 & A53, an interesting thing happens. Sold with 6-32, 8-32 & 10-32 without nuts or washers, the 1/4-20 is a "machine screw".

The same 1/4-20 on page A53 in a kit with nuts and washers becomes a stove bolt. Go figure.

I think this focus on what to call the threaded part of a ground clamp is missing the point Stew made back in post #11. Marky asked for a link to the UL Certifications Directory information:

KDER.E195975

Go down the page to the two entries titled: Bronze ground pipe clamps for bare wire The quote Stew gave is right there. Those model numbers of Raco water pipe ground clamps are OK for use with ground rods.

Thank you for the link.

The part in the OP's first post, c-11bdag1r, is not on the list.

The part in a more recent post, c11dbag1r, is.

I'm sure it was just a typo, but when searching on the 'net, it makes all the difference in the world.

Our speculations may now cease, as we not only have the correct P/N, but also the correct UL listing, E195975

Stew can now put the grinder away and present the inspector with the findings of the jury.

david

Thank you for the link.

The part in the OP's first post, c-11bdag1r, is not on the list.

The part in a more recent post, c11dbag1r, is.

I'm sure it was just a typo, but when searching on the 'net, it makes all the difference in the world.

Our speculations may now cease, as we not only have the correct P/N, but also the correct UL listing, E195975

Stew can now put the grinder away and present the inspector with the findings of the jury.

It interesting that they are listed for copper ground rods I wonder why they are not listed for copper clad rods ore something other than copper rods

Status
Not open for further replies.