Voltage remaining on ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfinz725

Has anybody ever had a electronic T8 ballast shock them after it has been disconnected from power and the fixture. I had a ballast zap me when the black and white wires crossed on my hand coming down a ladder. And today I had an LED exit sign do the same thing. Anybody got anything?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Since the electronic ballast starts by converting AC to DC which is stored/filtered by a capacitor.
That is used to provide controlled current pulses to the tube.
Once the AC is removed and the capacitor only discharges, it may not drop below the threshold voltage of the fluorescent tube. With no other load built in, the capacitor can hold this lower voltage for a long time.

Tapatalk!

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Has anybody ever had a electronic T8 ballast shock them after it has been disconnected from power and the fixture. I had a ballast zap me when the black and white wires crossed on my hand coming down a ladder. And today I had an LED exit sign do the same thing. Anybody got anything?

IMHO... Emergency Ballasts are required to be able to illuminate fixtures for 1.5 hours... in a de-energized state. So When the power is disconnected the ballast still has enough stored energy to zap and kill you... Be careful.. :)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
IMHO... Emergency Ballasts are required to be able to illuminate fixtures for 1.5 hours... in a de-energized state. So When the power is disconnected the ballast still has enough stored energy to zap and kill you... Be careful.. :)

I thought it was the sealed lead acid battery in the unit that stored the emergency lighting energy, not a capacitor.

I don't think I have ever seen a capacitor that could deliver an even current and voltage to a load for an hour and a half.

fmtjfw

FOR EMERGENCY BALLASTS!!!

FOR EMERGENCY BALLASTS!!!

The emergency ballast with battery backup are often red in color. They commonly appear with a standard ballast and you end up with a lot more wires than in a standard fixture. There will be two wires coming out of the emergency ballast that are connected together, usually with some kind of plastic covered connectors. If you disconnect then, you will defeat the battery backup. DO NOT REMOVE ANY OTHER WIRING (other than commercial power) before disconnecting these. Also note that there may be both switched and unswitched commercial power in the fixture.

If you don't understand the wiring, examine the diagram printed on the emergency ballast carefully.

[I HATE these emergency ballasts, I'm always afraid an unqualified electrician or "handyman" (70E term) is going to get shocked and maybe fall off a ladder working on them.
We had such a guy who often called up ballast manufacturers 'cause he couldn't understand T5 ballasts.]

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Bodines used to be red, now I run into all colors.

Tip offs to me are.

• Push to test switches
  • Power LEDs
  • A lot of extra wiring.

Old one coming out

2012-10-12_09-27-13_617_zps3d6e6c01.jpg

New parts to go in

2012-10-12_09-32-34_676_zps7e9d16d8.jpg

Partially installed

2012-10-12_09-35-58_898_zps0684a657.jpg

Almost done

2012-10-12_09-57-58_562_zps4c14b798.jpg

As was mentioned, look for a connector that unplugs to disconnect the battery, or treat the ballast leads as live.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
I thought it was the sealed lead acid battery in the unit that stored the emergency lighting energy, not a capacitor.

I don't think I have ever seen a capacitor that could deliver an even current and voltage to a load for an hour and a half.

I didn't specify what stored the energy....:)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
As was mentioned, look for a connector that unplugs to disconnect the battery, or treat the ballast leads as live.
NO DOUBT!

Nice pics. Thanks for posting.

I noticed your workbench has holder for coffee but none for the cordless. We are 20+ years past the nineties now, I think an upgrade is in order. No reason you should pay for it out of your own pocket though.

Status
Not open for further replies.