FORBIDDEN Question on Hospital Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I know this is a debate that went on for years and I am not asking for 'opinions' AND I am not looking for a debate on the topic because of the forum rules.

I actually want to know has it 'officially' been changed as a recommendation from the IEEE (Institute of Institute of Electrical and
Electronics Engineers).

Do they now 'recommend that you install receptacles in hospitals/Health Care Facilities with the ground pin 'DOWN'? Before they always recommended it be installed with the ground pin 'UP'.

I have searched for updates on the topic but have not found it yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thought I might share this comment I made at another area ;) This is the reason for my question.

The reason I am asking is because it was said that after so many years that the change was to install the ground pins down with plastic unbreakable covers instead of ground pins up with metal covers. The only reason that it was installed up was to help prevent the metal covers from shorting out the outlet if it fail across the hot and neutral. Metal covers were used because of their durability.

Since technology has improved the strength/durabiltiy and the price of nylon unbreakable covers, the recommended practice change is being considered.

The reason behind this thought is that a lot of the manufacturers cords have 90degree cord caps and sometimes this puts undue stress on the cords in hospitals and cause premature break down and leakage. The manufacturers of these appliances have not changed the way they make their cord caps for years and apparently they have no intention of doing so.

There are also the low volt 3 prong wall transformer. When they are installed on ground up receptacles the heavier weight is on the top, in which it puts more stress on the blades. They were never made to be plugged in that way even though its done a lot. Such as these http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/actx-1640/16-vac-40-va-wall-transformer/1.html

This practice of using the attachment screw of these 3 prong transformers on ground up receptacles creates a NEC code violation because of the metal plates are no longer grounded effectively.

I have seen these wall transformers installed in patient rooms and patient bed locations and this is "HUGE NO NO"! Because the bonding and grounding is something very serious in these locations.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
However, didn't they publish one that was more recent? I am looking for the most latest version if anyone has that link.
The most recent edition was published in 2007. But you won't find a link for it. It is not available for free, and it is not cheap. I do not have a copy, or I would look up the answer for you. Perhaps someone else has the current copy?

kwired

Electron manager
So what do they say about one of these:

image.php

I have seen them in hospital grade versions.

Pharon

The most recent edition was published in 2007. But you won't find a link for it. It is not available for free, and it is not cheap. I do not have a copy, or I would look up the answer for you. Perhaps someone else has the current copy?

Std 602-2007 4.4.3 Parallel blade devices should be mounted ground pin or neutral blade up. In this configuration, any metal that drops between the plug and the wall will most likely contact a nonenergized blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.