Current On Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ardmi

This will sound a little crazy but I thought I would ask the experts.....

I have all conduit system. Bonded at water main and ground rod.

With my clamp ammeter I have been testing the conduits in my basement by simply clamping around them... I didn't think that would actually work. However, I noticed that there is about ".05" Amps on most of them.. its intermittent and comes and goes during the day because at other times those same pipes show "0".

I thought I narrowed it down to one circuit causing the readings on all the conduits to begin. But turning that circuit off or any of the other circuits that are showing the current does not have any effect and the current reading remains. Then it mysteriously goes away.

I will start that same circuit up at that time and after a few minutes I see the readings again. But I cant say its related because if I turn that breaker off at the time the readings are being shown there is no change.

At either time there is never any current being shown on my GEC at the water main or rod outside.

So I was wondering
1. Is it even possible to measure current on a conduit as I describe?
2. Am I seeing phantom voltage or EMF or something?
3. Does it sound like I have a problem here?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As stated at electricians talk forum you need to get a qualified person involved. As a student you should not be doing this work alone. Perhaps the electrician will let you tag along and see what is going on.

ardmi

I am opening the thread as op says he works for a contractor

I am an apprentice Dennis, im led around by a tight leash really. Please close this thread though as I double posted. The one in the grounding/bonding section is more concise with the information and what is occuring.... thank you Dennis.

Status
Not open for further replies.