laser plumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith gigabyte

I'm looking for a new laser level/plumb bob. Currently I lay out my cans and overhead lighting with a string type plumb bob. I noticed there are a lot of laser levels that will project a beam/spot to ceiling for layout. Tried supply house.Only had one model..home depot and lowes clerks knew less about the products than was printed on packaging.

Looking for input on what to buy and what not to buy. I want to be able to clamp to wood stud and project line on "wall" for laying out multiple wall boxes (for sconces) as well as project a dot to "ceiling" from floor. Being able to attach it easily to finished walls would be a plus but not a necessity.

Not loking to spend a mint on this.
Thanks

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I'm looking for a new laser level/plumb bob. Currently I lay out my cans and overhead lighting with a string type plumb bob. I noticed there are a lot of laser levels that will project a beam/spot to ceiling for layout. Tried supply house.Only had one model..home depot and lowes clerks knew less about the products than was printed on packaging.

Looking for input on what to buy and what not to buy. I want to be able to clamp to wood stud and project line on "wall" for laying out multiple wall boxes (for sconces) as well as project a dot to "ceiling" from floor. Being able to attach it easily to finished walls would be a plus but not a necessity.

Not loking to spend a mint on this.
Thanks

i've got a robotoolz 5 axis that is about ten years old, that isn't made anymore.....
it's getting a bit finicky in it's old age, and may need to go to pasture soon...

i was looking at stabila stuff, and theirs is probably the best, and probably
just about the most expensive.

there is also this....

http://www.rack-a-tiers.com/product/112/Laser-Plumb-Bob

i've seen one in a wholesale house, but it didn't do anything for
me, as i want to be able to project flat lines for layout on
walls...

J.P.

+1 on the Dewalt.
Three lines, they will make a cross on the ceiling so you can lay out on the floor.
Batteries last pretty good
Your lights and pipe will all look great.

On the other hand....
If you are doing anything outside in bright sunlight you will need something the same color as the laser to for it to show up on. I just use a small piece of purlin. It's still hard to see though.

Not to be used as a transit.

Won't survive a fall from a lift onto concrete.......go figure.

[h=1]DEWALT DW089K Self Leveling 3 Beam Line Laser.[/h]

Beste

DeWalt and Ryobi both make a laser that project only up. I have used them for years. You can get them at lowes. They will be in the area of the transits and surveying equipment. Should cost you around $90.

PetrosA

I have a Hilti for plumb dots. Wasn't cheap, but it works well and has survived falls of a few feet. It's relatively small. For lines I ended up getting an obsolete Stabila on the cheap from a local Amish hardware store. It's a monster size-wise and came in a storage case that the airlines probably would say is too large for carry-on nowadays, but very stable. If I were able to get these things when "I" was ready for them and not when I needed them for jobs, I would probably have gone with PLS lasers. They're small and bright and don't cost all that much and have a better reputation than the brands you can get at box store.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Does not work as a plumb bob though....
I hear that you can make something for that purpose with a string and a rock though.
Or tie your laser level to the end of a string if the power fails.

Several nice things about the water level: No batteries and easy to see in daylight.
I have found that you have to watch out for bubbles in the hose. Local/remote/local test is advised.
I have also had some problems with setting it down when not using it, although I have also seen the deluxe model advertised with closeable caps on the ends. :)

Tapatalk!

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have found that you have to watch out for bubbles in the hose. Local/remote/local test is advised.
... Tapatalk!
A long time ago I was going to use a water level when it was cold out. It already had water in the hose, so I got some windshield washer fluid and set of a siphon to replace the water with the washer fluid. I let it run until I had the colored fluid coming out the other end. Apparently some of the water and windshield washer fluid mixed creating a mixture with a different specific gravity. I did not check before I tried using it and when I snapped a chalk line between the marks that I had made with the water level, the line did not look right to me....checked the level with both ends next to each other and there was about a 1/2" difference. Worked fine after I made sure that all of the liquid in the hose was the washer fluid.

dereckbc

Staff member
A long time ago I was going to use a water level when it was cold out. It already had water in the hose, so I got some windshield washer fluid and set of a siphon to replace the water with the washer fluid. I let it run until I had the colored fluid coming out the other end. Apparently some of the water and windshield washer fluid mixed creating a mixture with a different specific gravity. I did not check before I tried using it and when I snapped a chalk line between the marks that I had made with the water level, the line did not look right to me....checked the level with both ends next to each other and there was about a 1/2" difference. Worked fine after I made sure that all of the liquid in the hose was the washer fluid.
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't window washer fluid colored Alcohol and water? That would explain the specific gravity.

We used straight vehicle anti-freeze. Nice green florescent color very easy to see.

dmagyar

Spectra LP 40

Spectra LP 40

I've got a Spectra LP 40 that I purchased at California Service tool, it wasn't cheap but has lasted years, and is a four beam (up, down, front, side). I haven't checked pricing lately but there must be less expensive versions available now.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I just bought a PLS 5 kit for home use (~$400). I was using it yesterday to for layout of a new deck at my house. I was pleased to be able to see the laser dot ~25' away in bright sunlight. This is a 5 beam instrument and I think it would have many uses on the job. The kit also came with a remote sensor for longer outside distances where you would not be able to see the red dot. The specs say it is within 1/8" at 100'...good enough for anything I will be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.