Fan coil units and load calculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Typically the larger of heating and cooling loads are included in the calculation. The fan loads are included with heating and/or cooling, whichever they run under.

michalspike

so i'm not sure how i calculate that.
Building supply cold and hot water.
If i understand right: i need only power to supply fans.
Fun doesn't take much power.
How i calculate that?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
As indicated by footnote of brochure:
For additional information, please contact ICE AIR at 877-ICE-AIR-1 (877-423-2471) or at: info@ice-air.com
Ask for electrical load data for each unit you will be installing. Tell them you need the information for the electrical service load calculation required by your local building department.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
FPBs

FPBs

Based on your description these are what are known as " Fan Powered Boxes " in HVAC terms.
They can be " Constant " or " Variable Volume " and typically are used in multi story commercial, or larger commercial jobs.
Depending on the Engineering, they may have heat capability on the " Exterior " zones, typically electric resistance, but sometimes there is a Hot water coil.
They are ducted on the inlet side from a larger centralized supply system typically which can be larger Rooftop Variable Air Volume units or Vaneaxial Supply Fan rooms.
They do not always contain fan drives and or heat packages. That type being simply a VAV terminal.
They can be a bit cryptic.
Sometimes the HVAC startup guys can be of assistance.

StarCat

Occupation
Nameplate

Nameplate

The start up guys are a little late in the game when it comes to load calculations:happyyes:

Meaning if they happen to be on site, they can help open up and decrypt said units.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Meaning if they happen to be on site, they can help open up and decrypt said units.
I believe he meant start-up guys usually don't come on site until after the product is wired and ready to be powered up. Much too late for load calculations... :happyyes:

StarCat

Occupation
Not Always the case

Not Always the case

I believe he meant start-up guys usually don't come on site until after the product is wired and ready to be powered up. Much too late for load calculations... :happyyes:

When I worked with Commercial Install and I was the starting Tech, I sought to be in communication and involved with the electrical installation from the get go of the project for the strict purpose of being sure that there were zero minsunderstandings or misinterpretations that would delay the job when it was time to startup. This forum is pretty savvy, but in the field there is a lot of variance and miswiring of HVACR systems which has to be clarified by the people who work with them day in and out. Just the facts.
IN the case of multiplex condensing and electric defrost systems, we would tell the electricians how many conductors to pull and what color then we would land the wire. This was in a large metropolitan area.
A slack install is often times where the real problems start and it always the service guys who have to sort things out and often times under the worst possible conditions.
It could be something seemingly simple, like how many hundreds of times I have opened a motor starter to find the wrong rated heaters inside.
It can also be much, much worse to the point that the people making use of the equipment have to be sat down and educated as to how things got that far down the road and went so wrong.
Persons of different craft need to be talking to each other from the start of the job.
The Foremen should insist on this. Especially if its complicated.

All the best

kwired

Electron manager
When I worked with Commercial Install and I was the starting Tech, I sought to be in communication and involved with the electrical installation from the get go of the project for the strict purpose of being sure that there were zero minsunderstandings or misinterpretations that would delay the job when it was time to startup. This forum is pretty savvy, but in the field there is a lot of variance and miswiring of HVACR systems which has to be clarified by the people who work with them day in and out. Just the facts.
IN the case of multiplex condensing and electric defrost systems, we would tell the electricians how many conductors to pull and what color then we would land the wire. This was in a large metropolitan area.
A slack install is often times where the real problems start and it always the service guys who have to sort things out and often times under the worst possible conditions.
It could be something seemingly simple, like how many hundreds of times I have opened a motor starter to find the wrong rated heaters inside.
It can also be much, much worse to the point that the people making use of the equipment have to be sat down and educated as to how things got that far down the road and went so wrong.
Persons of different craft need to be talking to each other from the start of the job.
The Foremen should insist on this. Especially if its complicated.

All the best
We could use more start up guys like that that care enough to look at what is coming up, unfortunately today is all that matters to many of them. Then tomorrow they have just created more work for themselves, or at least unnecessary delays, then if they would have just been in communication with others at a sooner time. Even well detailed plans can benefit from just a little conversation to make sure everyone involved has the same understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.