spa disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone in the San Fransisco Bay Area been required to install a disconnect within a certain distance or line of site for a portable spa?

680.41 does not apply to single-family dwellings, yet I'm getting some flack from the general contractor on the job. The accepted quote was for installing a sub-panel next to the existing full 20/40 main panel, and running the 2 circuits from there (it's a swim/spa, so it requires a DP 30a & DP 50a circuit) It just happens to be on the other side of the house 50 feet away. The general is stating he's always been required to have a disconnect near the spa.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Disconnecting means are covered under 680.12 in Part I of Article 680. Since you said portable spa doesn't it have a cord and plug?

raider1

Staff member
680.40 requires hot tubs and spas to comply with the provisions of Part I and IV of Article 680.

680.12 falls within Part I of 680 and requires a maintenance disconnecting means to be installed to disconnect all ungrounded conductors. The disconnecting means must be located in a readily accessible location and be located within sight from the equipment.

Chris

680.40 requires hot tubs and spas to comply with the provisions of Part I and IV of Article 680.

680.12 falls within Part I of 680 and requires a maintenance disconnecting means to be installed to disconnect all ungrounded conductors. The disconnecting means must be located in a readily accessible location and be located within sight from the equipment.

Chris

Head slap to self.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.