LED lights on GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Never heard that before. I don't see why it would be a problem unless they are not quality material. Like the GFCI that are $4.99 or the LED trims that are $12.99 :happysad:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
LED cause trouble with afci not gfci. Most lights are not on gfci so I doubt that that was the issue-- I think someone meant afci

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I was told that LED lights are not compatible with gfci's. I have seen one trip a gfci, but never really investigated why, it wasn't my project.

Is it true that most LED lights are not compatible with gfci's?

Should not be an issue.
Although I have seen a defective GFI get wiggy making a vibrating noise once while switching a wall fan speed control. Replaced GFI had no problem since.

PetrosA

I had a customer a few years back who had me install Philips LED light bars in a closet with a ceiling mounted motion detector. The LEDs were tied into a GFCI breaker protected circuit and would trip the breaker every time they came on. Philips engineers tried to recreate the issue in their lab for me, but no luck. I ended up having to eliminate the GFCI breaker and install GFCI receptacles everywhere they were needed. Never got to the bottom of why it was happening.

kwired

Electron manager
I had a customer a few years back who had me install Philips LED light bars in a closet with a ceiling mounted motion detector. The LEDs were tied into a GFCI breaker protected circuit and would trip the breaker every time they came on. Philips engineers tried to recreate the issue in their lab for me, but no luck. I ended up having to eliminate the GFCI breaker and install GFCI receptacles everywhere they were needed. Never got to the bottom of why it was happening.
I once had a wall switch type occupancy detector controlling T8 fluorescent lighting that would trip a GFCI - and it wasn't even connected to the load side of this GFCI, but was on the same circuit. Never did figure that one out either. Was in the bathroom in my shop and I just gave up on the idea of the occupancy sensor and went back to standard wall switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.