Required lockout...We've never been asked for this before

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfav8r

We just installed a 400a service with 10 meter sockets for a multi-family building. Currently there is only one meter in use because the building was originally wired with all units being feed from one meter. Prior to issuing a green tag, the inspector wants all unused circuit breakers locked out with a pad lock. I showed that there were no meters in place so there was not any power to the breakers and even if the breakers were energized, there is no wire connected to the breakers so it wouldn't matter if someone turned them on or not. The inspector is insisting that the breakers all be padlocked prior to issuing a green tag. OK, so big deal I can go buy 9 pad locks, but I don't see the logic in locking out a breaker that has no power. It's $50 bucks worth of locks, $170 reinspection fee and an 2 hours of labor. Does this seem reasonable? We've never been asked to lockout under these conditions previously.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
We just installed a 400a service with 10 meter sockets for a multi-family building. Currently there is only one meter in use because the building was originally wired with all units being feed from one meter. Prior to issuing a green tag, the inspector wants all unused circuit breakers locked out with a pad lock. I showed that there were no meters in place so there was not any power to the breakers and even if the breakers were energized, there is no wire connected to the breakers so it wouldn't matter if someone turned them on or not. The inspector is insisting that the breakers all be padlocked prior to issuing a green tag. OK, so big deal I can go buy 9 pad locks, but I don't see the logic in locking out a breaker that has no power. It's $50 bucks worth of locks, $170 reinspection fee and an 2 hours of labor. Does this seem reasonable? We've never been asked to lockout under these conditions previously.

It doesnt sound to me like the Feeders have been installed to the 10 individual Units as of yet, so a "Reinspection" Fee each time another Meter/ Main is made active is going to take place regardless.

As far as having to Lockout the Tennant Mains that are not in use right now, I've never heard of that, but, if he's really insistant, I guess you could have the Landlord supply the locks, since you may not be the contractor that is awarded the work for the remainder of the project.

If the job was going to be done from start to finish, I dont see why the original service wasnt left in place, or, fed off of a temporary until all of the individual unit Feeders were rerouted to the new group metering so it could be inspected and the Tennant panels energized all at the same time.

But I'm not sure of your circumstances.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.