Clamp Connector (MC Cable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworker

Can the Halex Model #20570 3/8" (1/2" KO) Clamp Combination Connector be used with 10-2 w/ground MC cable? I know it fits 12-2 w/ground MC cable, but can not find any literature about 10-2 w/ground.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You would have to know the dimensions of the cable:

Clamp Combination Connector
Item: 20570
UPC: 051411205706

Trade Size:3/8"
Material:Zinc
Application:Indoors. In a dry location, use to connect flexible metallic conduit, AC, MC, or NM cable to steel outlet box or other enclosure. Miscellaneous: 3/8" size fits 1/2" knockout. Suitable For: #14/2 thru 12/3 with ground NM sheathed cable, #14-2 wire steel armored cable, 3/8" steel flexible metal conduit, aluminum cont. corrugated metal clad cable 0.365-0.519" diameter aluminum smooth sheath metal clad cable 0.345-0.525" diameter aluminum interlocked metal clad cable 0.455-0575" diameter rect. aluminum cont. corrugated metal clad cable 0.277" x 0.375", steel interlocked metal clad cable 0.435-0.547" diameter.
Carton Type:Bag

http://www.halexco.com/products.cfm?siteSection=consumer&productID=331&product_group=FLX

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Taking the two previous posts in combination, you have a cable with diameter .566" if it matches the Southwire part, and a clamp that accepts a maximum .547 diameter if the cable is steel clad, smaller if Al.
Please tell me if it will fit? You should not need to measure to do that.

PS: Try wrapping a strip of paper around the cable, measuring it and dividing by 3.14. That should be close enough.
And if you tell me you cannot divide I will have less respect for you. :)

Tapatalk!

hardworker

The connector easily slips over the aluminum clad armor. The 3 conductors pass thru the restricted opening, but they don't have much play. The electrical supply houses in the area say 10-2 w/gd is the maximum, but I don't always trust the guys behind the counter. They don't carry a specific connector for 10-2 w/gd.

kwired

Electron manager
The connector easily slips over the aluminum clad armor. The 3 conductors pass thru the restricted opening, but they don't have much play. The electrical supply houses in the area say 10-2 w/gd is the maximum, but I don't always trust the guys behind the counter. They don't carry a specific connector for 10-2 w/gd.
Many other competitor's connectors that are basically the same thing will accept the 10-2 so I would think you are likely safe assuming this one will as well. As a general rule if it will fit it is likely acceptable. I think the more important figure is cable diameter, and the actual listings of 10-2, 12-2, etc. are typical examples of cables that likely fit and not necessarily a confirmation that all such types will actually meet the dimensions.

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
Many other competitor's connectors that are basically the same thing will accept the 10-2 so I would think you are likely safe assuming this one will as well. As a general rule if it will fit it is likely acceptable. I think the more important figure is cable diameter, and the actual listings of 10-2, 12-2, etc. are typical examples of cables that likely fit and not necessarily a confirmation that all such types will actually meet the dimensions.

"As a general rule"? That doesn't fly. If the product listing does not state that a 10/2 MC can be used, it cannot be used. Period. End of story. There are other products on the market that are listed for use with a 10/2. Use one of those.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... If the product listing does not state that a 10/2 MC can be used, it cannot be used. Period. End of story. ...
Not true in this case because use is specified by diameter... and already demonstrated as compliant for Southwire's Armorlite 10/2.

kwired

Electron manager
"As a general rule"? That doesn't fly. If the product listing does not state that a 10/2 MC can be used, it cannot be used. Period. End of story. There are other products on the market that are listed for use with a 10/2. Use one of those.

It flies for a short time if you toss them out the window because you are disgusted with them:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.