100 Amp MC Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I need to run a three phase, 3 wire feeder to a rooftop chiller that requires 100 amps, 480 volts. The ceiling below the unit is very congested so I hope to run MC cable in lieu of conduit and wire. I will run to a JB below the roof and switch over to liquid tight from threre through the pitch pocket. Do they make 3-3 copper MC cable? Meaning 3 insulated and one ground wire. And would it be suitable for 100 amps? The terminals at each end are rated 75 degrees. I'd call my supplier and ask but they are closed this time of day.

iwire

Staff member
Yes to all of it. Seeing as you are in MA it should be a easy item at a large supply house.

But you will not run that without help.

HackElectric

Remember how heavy that's going to be while running it, it's not like normal MC that you can run across a drop ceiling and then come back to support it later.

What I often did was set traps first so I could run the MC over it while pulling it. Then after it was pulled I would go back and strap it.

iwire

Staff member
Remember how heavy that's going to be while running it, it's not like normal MC that you can run across a drop ceiling and then come back to support it later.

What I often did was set traps first so I could run the MC over it while pulling it. Then after it was pulled I would go back and strap it.

Yeah, 100 amp copper MC will beat the heck out of everything in a ceiling.

mkgrady

What is a trap? Is it some kind of home made roller?

HackElectric

What is a trap? Is it some kind of home made roller?

It's trade slang. A trapeze, like you see the guys swinging on in the circus.

Basically you just hang two threaded rods down from the deck or something else that you can attach to. Then at the bottom of the rods you put a piece of strut, spanning between the two rods.

This is good for running pipe, but works with heavy MC cable as well.

kwired

Electron manager
It's trade slang. A trapeze, like you see the guys swinging on in the circus.

Basically you just hang two threaded rods down from the deck or something else that you can attach to. Then at the bottom of the rods you put a piece of strut, spanning between the two rods.

This is good for running pipe, but works with heavy MC cable as well.

If you work for a company that has overhead line crews for meduim/high voltage work they have some pulleys they normally attach to the poles for pulling conductors that would be handy for this purpose, and your cable would pull easier then it would over pieces of strut:happyyes:

iwire

Staff member
Sheaves? All this time I thought hey were prison made knives......

Shiv

Shiv.png

Sheave

$_35.JPG

In case you where not kidding. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.