Conduit requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullcub0307

We are wiring a machine shed for a rural township. There will be gasoline stored and possibly dispensed in this building. That would classify it as a class 1div 1 area. Is there a specific section that requires the electrical to be in metal conduit.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
"Stored" doesn't necessarily make it Class I, Division 1. "Dispensing" might, depending on the ventilation. See Article 514.

Acceptable wiring methods are in Section 501.10(A).

Cavie

We are wiring a machine shed for a rural township. There will be gasoline stored and possibly dispensed in this building. That would classify it as a class 1div 1 area. Is there a specific section that requires the electrical to be in metal conduit.

Not only metal conduit but seal off fittings as well. Grab a beer and read 511-514

sparkyrick

I store and dispense gas in my garage all the time :) How much gas is "stored" inside? A gas can worth? How is the gas being dispensed, by using a simple gas can? Every garage across America would be a Class 1/Division 1 area, but we know that isn't the case.

Bullcub0307

Ok, I looked into the code section 514 a bit. The gas dispensed is not from a fixed location. The garage is not for major or minor repair or maintenance work. This is strictly a storage garage, it will have a gravel floor, and may store gasoline in small containers up to 5 gallon sizes for lawn mowers and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.