Light switch near sink for overhead light

Status
Not open for further replies.

lielec11

Is there anything in the code that requires a light switch to be a certain distance from a sink? I know if a receptacle is within 6ft it needs to be GFI however I cannot find anything for light switches. Is there a requirement for this?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Is there anything in the code that requires a light switch to be a certain distance from a sink? I know if a receptacle is within 6ft it needs to be GFI however I cannot find anything for light switches. Is there a requirement for this?

No, just receptacles.

north star

= = + + = =

"Is there anything in the code that requires a light switch to be a certain distance from a sink? I know if a receptacle is within 6ft it needs to be GFI however I cannot find anything for light switches. Is there a requirement for this?"
It depends upon which code you are referencing, and the nature of the project.

Need more information from you... [ i.e. - Is this project Commercial or Residential,
...is it "new" construction or a rehab \ repair project, ...are there any plans involved,
...is there an AHJ involved, ...have you considered the requirements of the ADA \
Accessibility Standards, etc. ].

Thanks!

= = + + = =

lielec11

= = + + = =

It depends upon which code you are referencing, and the nature of the project.

Need more information from you... [ i.e. - Is this project Commercial or Residential,
...is it "new" construction or a rehab \ repair project, ...are there any plans involved,
...is there an AHJ involved, ...have you considered the requirements of the ADA \
Accessibility Standards, etc. ].

Thanks!

= = + + = =

It is for a major hospital renovation. We gutted a space and are building 21 patient bed rooms. The switch is for a dedicated light over the nurses sink in the bathroom. Currently we are mounting it at an ADA acceptable height of 42" AFF.

north star

( * )

I was thinking about the Reach Ranges involved with Accessibility
requirements; as well as, the height from the finished floor surfaces.
If the switch is located behind the faucet, will it impede the actual
Reach Range requirements ? :blink:

( * )

Status
Not open for further replies.