Wet MC cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaffen99

I'm doing a job, where there was a pretty bad leak in the roof. It has rained pretty hard the past day and the water has come in and ran down the sheet rocked walls. The
interior wiring is all MC, and is now wet. Would you replace it or let it dry and leave it? I know the wire is thhn, but don't want any unforeseen problems later.
Thanks

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Are you willing to certify that the MC cable exposed to water is in good condition and will cause any trouble??

A/C contractor is a good guy, but say 2-5 years down the line the wiring gives out for another reason. I think the customer will blame you or the A/C contractor for that.

Since the wall will be open you might as well replace the cables.

Jkr3497

definitely have to replace and back charge hvac contractor. this is why we carry insurance. You do not want to run into problems a year down the road and have you get back charged by the drywaller for fixing the walls you have to cut open to replace the MC.

You probably would not run into any problems but i would much rather be safe than sorry

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
If just the MC got wet and not any of the connections, devices, or equipment I probably wouldn't worry about it, have to see it with my own eyes to say 100% for sure. MC gets wet and then used all the time.

Oh Dave the practical one. I would agree (with your stipulations included). A little water on MC is harmless if allowed to dry.

PS I here it is still snowing out there. Pretty much spring on our side.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am inclined to agree that if it just got a little water sprayed on it, possibly it is OK.

I would not accept the responsibility for making the determination that damage caused by someone else's work requires no remediation though.

If I did the damage, I might be inclined to look at it and decide the risk is low enough that I was willing to accept that risk.

I think it is an issue for the insurance company of the guy who did the damage to determine. that is what insurance is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.