Mechanical time clock location

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I have an existing commercial building I'm looking to do renovation work on. Currently there are 3 mechanical time clocks that are surface mounted on a bathroom wall adjacent to the sink basin.These appear to be from the original install about 10 years ago because of the way they are wired into the lighting contactor panel. Wouldn't this have been a code violation at the time of construction, you have to lean over the sink to access them? I could move them but would still have 3- 4" square j boxes on the surface to accommodate the conductors. The building restroom used to only be for employees, now with the new store going in it will be open to the public.Any help appreciated.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I don't recall there ever being a prohibitive requirement for equipment installed near a sink. Receptacle requirements have changed through the years. One could cite working space requirements. That too has changed through the years... not so much as others though.

With the restroom going public, they should definitely be relocated. If they were compliant at install, you could put a locking cabinet around them... but I don't recommend it.

JMO

mgookin

I have an existing commercial building I'm looking to do renovation work on. Currently there are 3 mechanical time clocks that are surface mounted on a bathroom wall adjacent to the sink basin.These appear to be from the original install about 10 years ago because of the way they are wired into the lighting contactor panel. Wouldn't this have been a code violation at the time of construction, you have to lean over the sink to access them? I could move them but would still have 3- 4" square j boxes on the surface to accommodate the conductors. The building restroom used to only be for employees, now with the new store going in it will be open to the public.Any help appreciated.

Assuming the contactors are not in the restroom, maybe just abandon the clocks and feed the contactors with your new controls. That way you don't have to worry about j-boxes above a sink.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
With three of them, I suspect that they are directly controlling the loads rather than driving contactors. But examination should settle that. If there are multiple contact sets on each timer, it is even more likely direct control.

Tapatalk!

J.P.

If you can't relocate them put it all in a large hoffman box and use one digital timer and however many contactors it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.