300.18(A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCalGramps

IOR tells me I have to put in a box or C condulet when I go from rigid conduit to sealtight. We have a 30' run of pipe to an Air Handler then transition to sealtight. He is saying 300.18(A) calls for the box or condulet. I can not see it.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
IOR tells me I have to put in a box or C condulet when I go from rigid conduit to sealtight. We have a 30' run of pipe to an Air Handler then transition to sealtight. He is saying 300.18(A) calls for the box or condulet. I can not see it.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa308/RFM959/photo9_zps0562167c.jpg <click here

If this is what you did a lot of people believe it to be a violation.

300-18 A isn't what most would use to reject it.
Using fittings that are not listed for the use would be used.
such as a EMT connector screwed into a ridgid coupling and a sealtite connector screwed into to the other end to convert to sealtite.

Last edited:

captainwireman

There are UL listed fittings for several different transitions. I would think if the fitting is UL listed, you may win this one. Reference Appleton STF connector.

SoCalGramps

We have 3/4" rigid to sealtight, threaded conduit w/rigid coupling to sealtight connector. IOR is saying a box or C condulet is required between rigid conduit and sealtight. He claims 300.18(A) is violated by what we have installed. I was looking for code section that requires the junction box or C condulet. Thanks for the replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
We have 3/4" rigid to sealtight, threaded conduit w/rigid coupling to sealtight connector. IOR is saying a box or C condulet is required between rigid conduit and sealtight. He claims 300.18(A) is violated by what we have installed. I was looking for code section that requires the junction box or C condulet. Thanks for the replies.
The closest I can come... 300.15, in part, says, ...
Fittings and connectors shall be used only with the specific wiring methods for which they are designed and listed.
A sealtite connector is not designed and listed to connect to a rigid coupling. Technically, it's not designed and listed for connection to a condulet either.

The inspector could approve if he so desired. 90.4, in part, says...
... The authority having jurisdiction forenforcement of the Code has the responsibility for making
interpretations of the rules, for deciding on the approval of
equipment and materials, and for granting the special permission
contemplated in a number of the rules.

By special permission, the authority having jurisdiction
may waive specific requirements in this Code or permit
alternative methods where it is assured that equivalent objectives
can be achieved by establishing and maintaining
effective safety.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.