Adding another breaker to an old panelboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I was asked to go in the other night to be another pair of hands for one of other guys doing a shutdown.

He told me about the job, he had to add a breaker and I knew the panelboard he spoke of because I had already helped drag a set of 350s and 500s into it.

Here it is when we started, its seen a lot of changes over the years.

2_zps602df679.jpg

Looks like we are going to have to fit it in up top.

1_zps64443f9e.jpg

Hey, what are those wires under the trim?

3_zps2bda7bc0.jpg

Now I see, someone put a lot of effort into doing it wrong.

4_zps75601858.jpg

Below we have removed the custom work and started installing the right hardware that was still easy enough to get.
5_zps008eb88e.jpg

We actually had two of these kits which turned out to be a good thing as the round spacers for phase B arrived with damaged threads and we could not use them.

6_zpsda57d9c2.jpg

Below we are replacing the old cloth covered, tin plated copper that was feeding the breaker, we found bare copper showing in spots due to rubbing on panel parts. Not real happy about the lugs but it was all we had at 1 AM and the ice cream was melting.

7_zps4031847e.jpg

Closed up as best we could and back on line.

8_zps14955bec.jpg

iwire

Staff member
And old GE with random breakers.

If you look at the lugs they are not sitting flat on the bus because they are the kind of lugs that have a tab sticking out the back that is supposed to fit in a hole to keep them from spining.

I would have liked to replace them but did not have any with us.

fmtjfw

And old GE with random breakers.

If you look at the lugs they are not sitting flat on the bus because they are the kind of lugs that have a tab sticking out the back that is supposed to fit in a hole to keep them from spining.

I would have liked to replace them but did not have any with us.

Did you have a file with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.