What Type of Generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Iwire beat me to it.
I was going to say "optional" doesn't mean what you think/thought.

It just means that it is not a required generator/back-up for emergency or life safety.
It's just a users choice (option) to install it.

mkgrady

Is it for emergency loads, essential loads, or does it cover the entire demand of the building?

I'm not saying that's what the code is looking for but it's something logical other than "automatic".

I agree that stating an automatic generator is automatic (type) doesn't make sense. My question is theoretical in that I'm not asking about a specific install but generally I'm talking about an automatic standby generator that runs on nat or propane gas and it powers either the whole house or parts of the house.

After reading all the responses, my best guess is that the "type" of generator relates to the type of fuel.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The type of the system would just be generator, and that is all that the mandatory label requires.
The oddly printed label form you have actually asks the type of generator, which the NEC does not care about.
I would fill in the blank either with the fuel (informative) or the word YES (meaning it is a "generator type" system).
:angel:

Tapatalk!

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
How about:

1. emergency
2. legally required standby
3. optional standby (most resi applications)
4. critical operations power system

These are right out of the NEC, as well as NFPA 99, 101, and 110.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
At last an answer that makes sense. Even though there probably is not enough space on the form to write some of those in. :)
Than again, a single generator could be supplying more than one of those systems.

Tapatalk!

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Or do they mean

Generator

Fuel cell

Inverter

PV

Since we're talking about a specific label (see #14), I'm going to go with "no". It already specifies the source of power as "Standby Generator". I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that most sparkies hearing "generator" will have a visual of some kind of engine with rotor/stator section that produces power, not "generator" in the much more general sense of "unspecified source of electrical energy".

Generator type

Generator type

When I am asked what type of generator I am specifying or using I reply that it's a diesel generator, or a natural gas or LP gas or a gasoline type. That usually satisfies the question. It also lets them know if they turn off the gas that the generator will still run if it's not gas, in case they want the generator to run during an emergency. Once the fuel type is known, other questions can be asked, such as where is the fuel supply, is there a day tank or belly tank, etc. So I would think the type should describe the type of fuel the generator is using.

RLyons

That's by the meter, right?

This sticker is on the transfer switch, meter can is directly to the left and gen is within 10' which is why you don't see location checked.

Whole house we put one on the transfer switch and meter can, unless located directly next to one another. Is it required to be placed on both?

Select circuit we put one on the main panel and one on the meter.

Last edited:

mgookin

This sticker is on the transfer switch, meter can is directly to the left and gen is within 10' which is why you don't see location checked.

Whole house we put one on the transfer switch and meter can, unless located directly next to one another. Is it required to be placed on both?

Select circuit we put one on the main panel and one on the meter.

I don't know where they're required. I was just thinking that if I were on the firefighting crew and we pulled up and someone killed power at the meter can or the service drop, having that sticker in the back yard doesn't do much good. It's going to be very noisy between diesel engines, radios, pumps, sirens from more arriving equipment, etc. and I don't think we're going to hear that genset start up in the back yard. Seems to me the meter can is the safest place to have it, but again, I'm no authority on location of that sticker.

iwire

Staff member
Since we're talking about a specific label (see #14), I'm going to go with "no". It already specifies the source of power as "Standby Generator". I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that most sparkies hearing "generator" will have a visual of some kind of engine with rotor/stator section that produces power, not "generator" in the much more general sense of "unspecified source of electrical energy".

That is my point.

Most assume the second source of power is a typical generator when it may well be something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.