BX Connector Vs Chord Grips/Strain Relief

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

I am trying to determine if a BX connector is the appropriate connector to use for my application. I have 15 or so wires leaving my subpanel. The sizes on the wires vary from 12AWG to 14AWG to 16AWG. The wire is ran inside of a corrugated loom. What normally happens is the wires leave the sub panel through a 1/2" circular opening, and then are ran through the loom to various components inside of the equipment.

We have had some inspectors ask us to use strain relief instead of the BX connectors. Some inspectors do not seem to care about the BX connectors. I am trying to understand the why or why not when it comes to this decision.

I know if it were a single cable, I would go ahead and use a proper strain relief/ cord grip. But since I have multiple wires, should I use the BX connector? Is it ok to use a standard cord grip on multiple wires? Here are the cord grips and BX connector in question.

cord grips.jpg bx connector.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm not sure that I follow the installation but I would think that whatever you use it needs to be listed for the conductor combination that you're using.

kwired

Electron manager
Unless NEC doesn't apply it doesn't sound like you are using any NEC recognized wiring methods. What is this "loom" and where is it located?

If you are building NRTL listed equipment and are following listing requirements for that equipment, the inspectors really can't say much about anything that is part of the listed assembly. If it is not listed it likely needs to comply with NEC.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

If you are building NRTL listed equipment and are following listing requirements for that equipment, the inspectors really can't say much about anything that is part of the listed assembly. ...
I believe he's referring to the NRTL listing inspectors...

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
do they need a grip

do they need a grip

If it is wires coming out of the panel to a loom that is supported could you just use a chase nipple, i have seen this in machines that have THHN running thru them? A BX connector is not right because it grips at an angle and is not designed to hold wire, of the two I would say cord grip.

Last edited:

fifty60

A chase nipple would not offer any strain relief though right, and would not grip the conductors? The conductors are all MTW. There are about 15 or so that feed through a 1 inch circular cutout.

fifty60

It is a harness of about 15 number 14AWG wires. These wires are exiting my subpanel through a 1" circular opening. The wires are then ran to compressors, solenoids, and pressure switches inside of the equipment. We use the sticky backs on the sub panel, but I would not trust them to give me any strain relief or as a cord grip. If they are the same sticky backs you are talking about.

Are you saying use the chase nipple, and then use sticky backs screwed in for the strain relief? If you don't mind, can you give me links or pictures of the components you are talking about?

kwired

Electron manager
Could someone please describe the benefits of using a chase nipple? What is its function?

Termination of a RMC or IMC by placing a threaded coupling on outside of an enclosure and use the chase nipple on the inside of the enclosure.

To "bush" the hole between two enclosures butted against one another.

To "bush" a RMC/IMC that ends in a coupling and has the chase nipple inserted in the coupling, at a open bottom gear or other transition to open wiring from raceway.

Status
Not open for further replies.