Switchgear Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

bure961

Does arc rated switchgear need ppe to interact with and is a arc flash survey needed for this type of gear? Just trying to find out some of the key points of using this gear.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Maybe.

What do you mean by interact with?

Opening doors of a motor control center to take load current measurements, would negate any 'arc flash rating' your equipment might have.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
open, close breakers for loto for one thing.
Proper PPE is always required.

What ratings does you gear have? What standards has it been constructed to?

Does your Electrical Safe Work Practice program consider routine opening and closing, for LOTO purposes, as likely to cause a fault?

bure961

Don't have have arc rated gear , like my post asked just trying to find key points of using this type of gear.
Right now we open and close remotely, we have a arc flash study completed. Looking for the difference between the two as far as opening and closing , racking breakers , using ppe . What does this type of gear offer when the need to do these operations ? We are not looking to get inside of this equipment for any reason and don,t do it now.
Thanks for you time and help with my questions.

cornbread

Great question, will be following the thread to see where it winds up. We have been talking to a couple of switch gear companies and I just wanted to point out the following.

Arc Resistant Switchgear
ANSI/IEEE C37.20.7 defines switchgear arc resistance in two basic categories:

?ANSI type 1
Arc resistance from the front of gear only
?ANSI type 2
Arc resistance provided from the front, sides and rear

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
Great question, will be following the thread to see where it winds up. We have been talking to a couple of switch gear companies and I just wanted to point out the following.

Arc Resistant Switchgear
ANSI/IEEE C37.20.7 defines switchgear arc resistance in two basic categories:

?ANSI type 1
Arc resistance from the front of gear only
?ANSI type 2
Arc resistance provided from the front, sides and rear

The only true arc rated gear is Medium Voltage breakers.

All 480V equipment is basically 'self-certified', although most it appears most manufacturers include some type of 3rd party witness testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.