Failed Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Those covers are pretty cool. I didn't look at any datasheets. How do they install? They have to withstand a hose stream, right?

I doubt that. :) Once a hose stream is hitting them, you probably are no longer relying on the covers to prevent flame spread upward. At least not for life safety. The building might burn down....

But I do think that the fixtures themselves would have to be rated for insulation contact, since those covers would effectively cut off both air movement and heat transfer, forcing all of the cooling of the unit to be downward.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Those covers are pretty cool. I didn't look at any datasheets. How do they install? They have to withstand a hose stream, right?

You still need to use new work lights. These are not for a cut in remodel can. Most inspectors will not allow them in any circumstance as they do not trust that they will seal.

mgookin

I doubt that. :) Once a hose stream is hitting them, you probably are no longer relying on the covers to prevent flame spread upward. At least not for life safety. The building might burn down....

But I do think that the fixtures themselves would have to be rated for insulation contact, since those covers would effectively cut off both air movement and heat transfer, forcing all of the cooling of the unit to be downward.

A wall has to withstand a hose stream. It's not the wall that's on fire; it's the building contents. You don't want to lose the wall while you're fighting the fire.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A wall has to withstand a hose stream. It's not the wall that's on fire; it's the building contents. You don't want to lose the wall while you're fighting the fire.
Agreed, the wall has to withstand the hose stream, but the 2 hour fire protection rating of the wall probably does not. (Looking at practical effect, not formal code requirements.)
The can could get blown away, along with the insulating cover, but the structural floor above it would be unaffected. And less likely to burn with the hose stream wetting it.

I agree that the inspector could well reject it in favor of a built out box enclosure.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Of all states in the country, this is one state that sees many devastating fires.

A few months ago a building in Back Bay in Boston went up in flames and claimed a life or two. From experience, the electrical work being done in the city is abysmal.

#1 It costs a lot of money because you have to think about parking and how long it takes to get back to your truck when bringing tools and supplies into the building.

#2 Because it's a city, you're a small fish in a big pond when you're just adding a few items to a condo, or even renovating and entire floor of a condo, so you can get away with not informing the city.

When you put these two together you get property owners and/or tenants that see the estimate to have the job done properly and choose the electrician that will use the anonymity of a city to do the job for less money.

Pharon

A few months ago a building in Back Bay in Boston went up in flames and claimed a life or two. From experience, the electrical work being done in the city is abysmal.
That fire happened because of an unpermitted crew doing spot welding next door. It had nothing to do with shoddy electrical work.

Status
Not open for further replies.