How many wires can you put under acorn and water pipe clamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Current

Does anybody know the code for how many wires you are allowed to put under acorn clamps and water pipe grounding clamps?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
250.70 Methods of Grounding and Bonding
Conductor Connection to Electrodes
The grounding or bonding conductor shall be connected to
the grounding electrode by exothermic welding, listed lugs,
listed pressure connectors, listed clamps, or other listed
means. Connections depending on solder shall not be used.
Ground clamps shall be listed for the materials of the
grounding electrode and the grounding electrode conductor
and, where used on pipe, rod, or other buried electrodes,
shall also be listed for direct soil burial or concrete encase-
ment. Not more than one conductor shall be connected to the
grounding electrode by a single clamp or fitting unless the
clamp or fitting is listed for multiple conductors.
One of the
following methods shall be used:
One unless you find yourself a special clamp.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's a graphic from Mike Holt:

1113921169_2.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
Does anybody know the code for how many wires you are allowed to put under acorn clamps and water pipe grounding clamps?

One specific section for the application was pointed out. Without that section you still have the listing of the product. A general unwritten rule to remember is that most all conductor termination devices only are designed for one conductor if they are not marked otherwise.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
One specific section for the application was pointed out. Without that section you still have the listing of the product. A general unwritten rule to remember is that most all conductor termination devices only are designed for one conductor if they are not marked otherwise.

Which ultimately results in a 110.3(B) violation. Always look for the markings or consult the manufacturer if unclear.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Most manufacturers mention a range of sizes like #8 to#2awg. I believe their intent is only one conductor per clamp for what ever size they mention.

I am guilty of looping & folding a continuous run of #4 bare under one (I usually use two) acorn clamp that would loop to the other ground rod some six plus feet away.:ashamed1:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why loop and fold and create a violation when you could just go straight through?

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why loop and fold and create a violation when you could just go straight through?

At the time it seemed like a good idea it looked "neater" to me because it looped in and out unbroken on the under side of the clamp. I do need to say I do not practice this anymore, it is easier going straight through the clamp.
I still use two clamps.;)

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Can you put a dual lug into the single lug of the acorn or water pipe clamp?

Not sure of the code article but I'm sure that some grounding methods insist on one continuous cable between supplementary grounds.

kwired

Electron manager
Can you put a dual lug into the single lug of the acorn or water pipe clamp?

Not sure of the code article but I'm sure that some grounding methods insist on one continuous cable between supplementary grounds.
NEC only requires the GEC to be unspliced - exception to use irreversible splicing method. GEC is from the service equipment to an electrode. Anything going to an additional electode is a boning jumper and can be spliced without using irreversible methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.