Holy Smoke Batman - Chimney Flue Top Draft Inducer Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Has anyone ever powered a chimney flue top draft inducing fan? I am concerned about the non-metallic sheathed cable at the final connection - appears to be soot covered and possibly cracking. Any insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCF0988_edited-1.jpg
    DSCF0988_edited-1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Looks pretty bad to me. Is the NM rated for outdoor and UV exposure?
I can't see running it through the exhaust stream as being compliant.
Ambient temp derating??

PetrosA

Aside from the installation methods, why would anyone want to have a chimney that performs so badly that it needs electricity to make it work properly in the first place?!? Is whatever this is venting shut down automatically on loss of power?

tonype

Aside from the installation methods, why would anyone want to have a chimney that performs so badly that it needs electricity to make it work properly in the first place?!? Is whatever this is venting shut down automatically on loss of power?

I have never come across this, though looked online and saw a few manufacturers. I agree with you on the the concerns.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Has anyone ever powered a chimney flue top draft inducing fan? I am concerned about the non-metallic sheathed cable at the final connection - appears to be soot covered and possibly cracking. Any insight would be appreciated.

It looks like it might be UF to me. Even so, Article 338 sends us to Parts II and III of Article 334. 334.30(B)(2) limits unsupported length to 4.5 feet and only within an accessible ceiling.

RLyons

Possibly part of a pellet stove insert?

Stupid idea that some of them require a powered exhaust...I know this because I inadvertently flipped a breaker that powered the pellet stove exhaust.
Needless to say I was surprised when a ladder truck pulled up in front of the house :slaphead:

fmtjfw

We have a chimney-top draft fan on a large boiler in an old school. Much cheaper than constructing a new chimney. There is either a rotation detector or a flow relay on it so that if it isn't running the fuel gas valve is tripped off. There is a timer used to let the draft fan run before the gas is turned on.

And it ain't wired with NM/UF

John120/240

Similar to fmtjfw's situation: The boiler room flue stack was too small to handle the demand. A roof top fan was installed to increase the draft. And NO it wasn't wired with NM or UF.

Status
Not open for further replies.