Inspector cited this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricg

first time I have seen this cited as a violation. Hope you can see this picture. The faceplate is metal. Inspector says NEC violation with this wall transformer. Guess why.

Attachments

• wall wart recep codeviolation.jpg
    wall wart recep codeviolation.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 0

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Obviously because, as is indicated by the position of the label, you have installed the transformer upside down.
Or perhaps that receptacle unit is not UL listed to have anything fastened to it by the center screw except the cover plate?

electricg

Obviously because, as is indicated by the position of the label, you have installed the transformer upside down.
Or perhaps that receptacle unit is not UL listed to have anything fastened to it by the center screw except the cover plate?

Your somewhat close, but the transformer being upside down or right side up wasn't the main reason or article he cited, so reading the label has nothing to do with it. I have seen these transformers, (sometimes called wall warts) plugged in like this many of times.

kwired

Electron manager
My second guess is the receptacle appears to be slightly recessed in the metal faceplate - it must be flush or extend beyond flush if metal faceplate.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Solution - snap the tab off the remaining receptacle so that only one is active. The only problem would be if that receptacle was one that was required by Code for that area.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
404.9(b) is for switches
406.6(b) is for receptacles

As I was looking for the section Chris had posted the code section.

kwired

Electron manager
Does anyone know the Code article that was cited? ;)
Well we have to start with 406.6(B) but it is questionable if bonding is secure enough in this instance so that may send us elsewhere - which I am guessing is what you had there.

110.3(B) is a way out for an inspector that doesn't want to come up with something specific or other logical explanation

I will let you know if I find anything else if it has not been revealed yet.

ETA: maybe something from 250.4 though nothing in there specifically applies to a metal faceplate. I'm guessing you are looking for something fairly general in nature and not specific to the application.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.