Electrical Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Guns

Is it acceptable to install a NEMA3R wire way or trough on exterior of dwelling with service mast entering top and 3 meter sockets out of bottom, is it acceptable to CL&P and code compliant.

Thank You

kwired

Electron manager
Code compliant -yes.

POCO compliant - check with your POCO - not all are going to be the same with something like this.

GerryB

Is it acceptable to install a NEMA3R wire way or trough on exterior of dwelling with service mast entering top and 3 meter sockets out of bottom, is it acceptable to CL&P and code compliant.

Thank You

Is that CL&P in CT? If it is residential you need by-pass levers. (not sure about commercial). I don't know the situation but wouldn't a 3-gang meter socket be easier? 3-gang horizontal, 100a each position is about $500.00.
I do see a picture of a trough and meters like you described in their guide book for 3-phase, Fig 12, sec 11 pg73

Big Guns

Is that CL&P in CT? If it is residential you need by-pass levers. (not sure about commercial). I don't know the situation but wouldn't a 3-gang meter socket be easier? 3-gang horizontal, 100a each position is about $500.00.
I do see a picture of a trough and meters like you described in their guide book for 3-phase, Fig 12, sec 11 pg73

Yes its in CT. and it would be easier to install a stack, but the supply house quoted me without a bypass when I asked for bypass, after giving quote to customer and put them under contract I found out it was without bypasses, which is a 800.00 plus difference and takes 10 days to arrive... so now I'm trying not to loose my shirt LOL.. I normally would install meter banks.

GerryB

Yes its in CT. and it would be easier to install a stack, but the supply house quoted me without a bypass when I asked for bypass, after giving quote to customer and put them under contract I found out it was without bypasses, which is a 800.00 plus difference and takes 10 days to arrive... so now I'm trying not to loose my shirt LOL.. I normally would install meter banks.

I'm pretty sure this stickum I have on my desk that says 3-gang, $509.00 is a quote from EW (Electrical wholesalers about a year ago) for the horizontal meter, 3 positions with bypass, because even UI wants bypass levers for multifamily.
You can probably do it the way you said. Material wise with 3 bypass meters, the trough, bugs, etc the cost is probably similar but more work. I know the stack (vertical) banks are more then the horizontal. You would want to get approval from cl&p first which could take time. Hope it works out, I've been in that situation myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.