hvac condenser size cb & conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss electric1

hvac condenser unit. name plate states , 50 amp cb, min. circuit amps. 28. fellow co-worker says #10. I say #6.
thanks for info.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
hvac condenser unit. name plate states , 50 amp cb, min. circuit amps. 28. fellow co-worker says #10. I say #6.
thanks for info.

#10 it is. It works even at 60 degree for NM cable. The wire size does not have to match the beaker for this application. That is urban legend.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
thanks for info.

The overcurrent protective device (Breaker) is only there for ground fault and short circuit protection. The a/c unit has overload protection built in and that will control the current getting higher then the wire can handle.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Spot on

Spot on

But although it is acceptable, it may lead to nuisance trips. Mike recommends going to the max allowed OCPD instead.

Tapatalk!

Gold Digger is spot on to go with MAX breaker size.
This is always the best thing with HVACR compressor loads especially single phase because of the inrush starting characteristics.
Even with MAX size breakers, single phase condensing units often require hard start components to be added after the install.
Myself and others will install hard start regardless as it will moderate the starting current. This lessens other side effects of bringing such loads on the line which end users often have perceptual difficulty with.

Status
Not open for further replies.