AIC rating for 10 units dwelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

rimo

Hi guys,I hope I can find a right answer on this forum,have been following you guys long time.
I'm installing 600 amp service for multifamily dwelling with 10 unit + one retail space.Pretty much it's a 600-Amp 120-240V Single Phase disconnect and a multiple meter pack. Every unit has a 60 amp sub panel and retail space has a 100 amp panel.
Since they have a one retail space,do I have to bring up the AIC equipment rating to 40 000?
Thanks.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Hi guys,I hope I can find a right answer on this forum,have been following you guys long time.
I'm installing 600 amp service for multifamily dwelling with 10 unit + one retail space.Pretty much it's a 600-Amp 120-240V Single Phase disconnect and a multiple meter pack. Every unit has a 60 amp sub panel and retail space has a 100 amp panel.
Since they have a one retail space,do I have to bring up the AIC equipment rating to 40 000?
Thanks.

The rating of the gear is based on the available fault current at the terminals of the gear. The type occupancy is not relevant.

ron

The rating of the gear is based on the available fault current at the terminals of the gear. The type occupancy is not relevant.
Agreed.

As a side note, I recently was doing some apartment calcs (unusual type project for me), and it was surprising to me that for an apartment of ~1000 sq-ft, by the time you finish with the required 2 small appliance branch circuits (3kVA), the required laundry circuit (1.5kVA), the 3 VA per sq-ft and a few kVA for HVAC, I was already past a 60A meter. Even though I knew there wasn't going to be a laundry in the apartment, and the kitchen counter was really small not allowing for much small appliances, I still had to keep that "fudge" in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.