Wires/ Cables from Different Panel Boards in the same enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMMB

Occupation
Electrical Manager
Wires / Cables / Disconnect Switches from different Panel Boards are permitted in same enclosure??

Please advice

TMMB

Occupation
Electrical Manager
I am confused now, i will make it clear question: i have a metallic column, inside the column i have to install different cables from different panel boards (one cable for lighting from panel board no.1 , one cable for a fan from panel board no.2 , and one cable for a motor from panel board no.3) all circuits with same operating voltage

please advice

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I am confused now, i will make it clear question: i have a metallic column, inside the column i have to install different cables from different panel boards (one cable for lighting from panel board no.1 , one cable for a fan from panel board no.2 , and one cable for a motor from panel board no.3) all circuits with same operating voltage

please advice

If the column is your raceway or enclosure 300.3(C)(1) covers your question barring any article 700 wiring. If the column is not a raceway or enclosure and you are using cable assemblies then you wouldn't have an issue in the first place.

Roger

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't think you will find an article that addresses this situation. This is one of those situations that we handle by saying the code does not prohibit it, therefore it is allowable.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
. . . 300.3(C)(1) covers your question . . . .
Well, sort of. From that article, I infer that I can run a 208 volt three phase circuit and a 120 volt single phase circuit through the same raceway or into the same enclosure. But it does not say whether the two circuits do, or do not, have to originate from the same panelboard. On the other hand, it does allow me to run a 480 volt circuit and a 120 volt circuit through the same raceway or into the same enclosure, and those will certainly not originate from the same panelboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.