?Suitable ONLY for Use as Service Equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I added emphasis to the word ?only.? This phrase is on the nameplate of a switchboard that is presently a building?s main service panel. See attached photo. Our project will change it to be fed from a switchboard on a new building being constructed next to the existing building. The obvious part is that we must remove the N-G bond in the existing board and provide an EGC with its new feeder. But what does the word ?only? on the board?s nameplate mean? Can we not do what we are planning, because the board will be used for something other than a ?service?? Anyone encountered that word on a nameplate before?

Attachments

• Swbd nameplate.jpg
    Swbd nameplate.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 4

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Usually the "only" just means that it does not contain an insulated neutral bar and that creating one is not as simple as removing a bonding screw from one of two grounded bars.
If you can add a listed neutral bar to the panel, it should have work fine as non-service equipment, but an inspector may try to give you grief about it.

Tapatalk!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Usually the "only" just means that it does not contain an insulated neutral bar and that creating one is not as simple as removing a bonding screw from one of two grounded bars.
If you can add a listed neutral bar to the panel, it should have work fine as non-service equipment, but an inspector may try to give you grief about it.

Tapatalk!

I agree. Usually the neutral is fastened to the panelboard and cannot be removed without a major redo. I would think it depends on the panel and/or the ahj. Perhaps the neutral bar could be the ground bar and a separate neutral bar could be installed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have never seen that marking on anything other than a panelboard, but I agree with the others, based on the so marked panelboards that that I have seen. It will be difficult, if not impossible, to isolate the existing neutral bar from the enclosure.

CFL

I don't have the answer, just wanted to point out to the others that his is a switchboard, not a panelboard.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
From the UL Guide Information for "Switchboards, Dead Front" (WEVZ)
Some switchboard sections or interiors incorporate neutrals factory bonded to the enclosure. Such units are marked "Suitable Only for Use as Service Equipment."
From the UL Guide Information for "Panelboards" (QEUY)
Some panelboards incorporate neutrals factory bonded to the frame or enclosure. Such units are marked "Suitable Only for Use as Service Equipment."

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If you reuse the existing service conductors, even in part (as long as it is the part terminated to the switchgear ;)), you could qualify the installation of feeder without EGC (i.e. the new part :p) under 250.32(B)(1) Exception No. 1...

Status
Not open for further replies.