GFI vs AF combo breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
so this is interesting and not sure how i should proceed.

my home is on bad power, we get ring wave spikes due to old switching on utility side, local cement plant is part to blame too.
my panel had some GFI's in it, but due to ring waves hitting the panel some of the GFI's would trip. after digging into the issue the electrical company who installed the panel replaced the GFI's with Eaton BRAF's.

so, my "issue" has seemingly gone away. i continue to get hit with power dips/spikes. however, the BRAF's are not in same class as GFI (AF ~30mA while GFI ~5mA).

now i am doing spa out back along with outdoor kitchen. my plans called for GFI breakers. i suspect these GFI's will trip when i get hit with ring waves.

does NEC allow the use of "AF" breaker for pools?

i have been battling with utility for a long time. i even have a DataQ device recording my line power so i can show utility that this is a issue they need to fix.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
so this is interesting and not sure how i should proceed.

my home is on bad power, we get ring wave spikes due to old switching on utility side, local cement plant is part to blame too.
my panel had some GFI's in it, but due to ring waves hitting the panel some of the GFI's would trip. after digging into the issue the electrical company who installed the panel replaced the GFI's with Eaton BRAF's.

so, my "issue" has seemingly gone away. i continue to get hit with power dips/spikes. however, the BRAF's are not in same class as GFI (AF ~30mA while GFI ~5mA).

now i am doing spa out back along with outdoor kitchen. my plans called for GFI breakers. i suspect these GFI's will trip when i get hit with ring waves.

does NEC allow the use of "AF" breaker for pools?

i have been battling with utility for a long time. i even have a DataQ device recording my line power so i can show utility that this is a issue they need to fix.
well, after speaking to several local folks, i am pretty sure AF type is a no-go for water areas. so hmmmmm, this is gonna be a pita to deal with.
and, i now need to verify that for all the breakers they swapped out for AF's that there is either a GFI receptacle 1st in the line, or that the line doesnt require GFI.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
And also hope that the spikes do not just destroy the GFCI receptacles instead?
Do you see any type of surge protection to have a chance of helping?

Tapatalk!

FionaZuppa

Occupation
And also hope that the spikes do not just destroy the GFCI receptacles instead?
Do you see any type of surge protection to have a chance of helping?

Tapatalk!

i have had some minor electronics destroyed. my computer gear and some other items (like my coffee pot now) is on good surge protectors.
the ring wave that hits seems to be "small" enough not to damage GFI outlets, but causes imbalance enough for the GFI breaker to trip off. i have yet to see a GFI outlet trip off. not really sure why the GFI breaker was tripping but outlet was not. perhaps shortest path 1st which is at the breaker? but with the AF's in my GFI outlets do not trip off, so maybe the BR GF breaker was a tad more sensitive than the outlet ??

edit: i just got hit with a spike. i am looking at the capture now.... will post what i find.

Last edited:

FionaZuppa

Occupation
so here it is.

i am running a DataQ DI-155 doing captures at around 5KHz. the DI-155 is using a voltage divider directly on the mains (no gripes please, i already know why you think this is bad).

1st pic shows approx where my UPS backup decided to make a grumble, went to battery power for a few seconds (i believe the UPS kicks over shortly after the spike seen in the pic).
this pic shows the voltage spike that is outside the accepted utility regulated range. for the next 1.3336sec the waveform doesnt look so clean compared to the rest of the capture before the event occurred.

the 2nd pic shows what the DI-155 captured on empty channel #2 while the event was occurring. looks like some noise, possibly from my UPS doing its thing as they (DI-155 and UPS) are plugged into same outlet and are located about 2ft from each other. my UPS is a APC RS 1500, and it jumps to bat when voltage is not stable for a set period of time.

spike_1_channel1.png

spike_1_channel2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.