Main Breaker Panel placement question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am installing 3- 100 amp Main Breaker Panels along a wall in a new service location in an existing home that is a complete teardown/rewire. I am aware that I may not install them directly below a water line running parallel above the panels. In this particular location though, the water meter is approximately 24" directly below running parallel with the first of 3 panels. Is this allowed or do I need to physically shield the water meter and pipe that runs directly below the first panel? Please help as I kind of got ahead of myself and told the GEC to prep the space for the new service. Thanks Guys!!!!

surface mount. Water Meter is on the surface as well directly below 24" to be exact from the bottom of the first of three panels. Poured concrete wall with 3/4" plywood barrier for panels to mount to. I want to locate them there because its 1 of two places it can be and its very close to the incoming water meter. The other location is the old existing. The utility co. already gave the ok to relocate the service but they obviously don't look inside the house.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The foot print of the panel extended to the floor level is dedicated to the electrical equipment. You can't have anything that is not part of the electrical system in this space. Covering or shielding the water pipe does not change anything.
110.26(E)(1)(a) Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whi chever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree with Don. Can you mount that one panel on some type of unistrut configuration that puts the back of the panel further away from the wall than the water meter? That would comply with the rule Don quoted.

Thanks guys. That was a great idea to build unistrut to bring it out past the water meter. I probably could have done that but we have since reverted back to the original placement of the panel before the rewire.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.