Hot, Neutral & Ground... voltage question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegggu

if you have a 120v system (1 hot, 1 neutral).
essentially, is the neutral not a hot/live conductor, as it is an AC system that the current alternates?

if you were to measure voltage from hot to ground you'd get 120v.
if you were to measure voltage from neutral to ground, would you not get 120v as well?

thanks!

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
essentially, is the neutral not a hot/live conductor, as it is an AC system that the current alternates?

if you were to measure voltage from hot to ground you'd get 120v.
if you were to measure voltage from neutral to ground, would you not get 120v as well?

thanks!

No..... Measuring voltage from neutral to ground should ideally be 0 volts...

lielec11

to answer this question, according to the code the neutral is a current carrying conductor in this case. so yes I would consider it "hot/live" because any residual current from the load will flow back through the neutral.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
. . . I would consider it "hot/live" because any residual current from the load will flow back through the neutral.
Not just "residual." For a single phase 120 volt circuit, 100% of the current flowing through the hot conductor will return to the source via the neutral conductor. I agree that in an ideal world, the voltage from neutral to ground will be zero. The world is not ideal, however, and there will be some measureable voltage between those two points.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Not just "residual." For a single phase 120 volt circuit, 100% of the current flowing through the hot conductor will return to the source via the neutral conductor. I agree that in an ideal world, the voltage from neutral to ground will be zero. The world is not ideal, however, and there will be some measureable voltage between those two points.

I agree... Usually there is a small voltage measurement between the neutral conductor and the EGC. I have measured at times and have found this to be @ 1 or 2 volts, but the voltage is dependent upon load current. :)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the "system" is just 120 volts, not 120/240 single phase 3-wire, then there is no neutral, just one ungrounded conductor and one grounded conductor.

Tapatalk!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
But this is rare.
Which reminds me...

I was driving on a rural road the other day and I noticed a string of utility poles paralleling the roadway for quite a distance. It looked like a medium voltage overhead distribution line, except there was only one conductor.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Which reminds me...

I was driving on a rural road the other day and I noticed a string of utility poles paralleling the roadway for quite a distance. It looked like a medium voltage overhead distribution line, except there was only one conductor.

Nothing wrong with that IMHO. perhaps they are getting ready for residential feeds

John120/240

Which reminds me...

Is that what they call SWER-Single Wire Earth Return ?

kwired

Electron manager
But this is rare.
It is rare to see as utility supplied service. It is fairly common as control voltage on machines or control systems, and is occasionally seen for limited power as a separately derived system. Say you have 480/277 as the main power but need limited 120 volts for a convenience receptacle - you may just derive 120 only from appropriate sized transformer.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Is that what they call SWER-Single Wire Earth Return ?

I hope this wasn't commonplace. Had a fairgrounds where primary side of two transformers on poles were never attached to system ground, only to ground wire ran down pole. We didn't know of this condition until one hot summer day and a dry summer the poles were smoking as higher than previous currents were traveling down the ground wire along the pole to earth because of increased Air conditioner use. At the time, out of curiosity I took the back of my hand towards the ground wire to see how hot it may have been and if I remember correctly I think I felt a tingle which after I thought about it could have been a very bad situation.
Still here!

Status
Not open for further replies.