Exit Lights in Existing Small Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo1

Have a small office remodel of approx. 7,200 SF, occupancy type B, with occupancy load of 72. Does this building require exit lights? It was originally build in the 80s and currently has no exit or emergency lights.

It has one long hallway of approx. 78 feet long and three short hallways each approx. 40 feet long. Only two rooms have more than one door to exit the room. Each of the rooms with two exists has one that exists to the outside. So I think if exit lights and emergency lights are needed they would only be needed in the hallways. Correct?

growler

I would suggest that exit and emerg lighting is required.

I think so.

Here the fire inspection would require these based on the Life Safety Code.

Call the Fire Marshals Office and they may send over someone to go over it with you if they don't require an approved set of plans to get a permit.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Around here, an occupancy of more than 50 usually means exit and emergency lights are required. You probably only need exit lights in the corridors, if all the rooms are off the corridors.

Emergency lights are normally required in common means of egress (corridors), and common use area's ( break rooms, toilet rooms, conference rooms, etc.).

At least, that's how it usually works around here - your mileage may vary.

north star

+ - - - - - - +

Your question is a Building Code question !

Refer to Section 1006 - Means of Egress Illumination &
Section 1011 - Exit Signs, in the `12 IBC.

+ - - - - - - +

mgookin

It depends how much work is being done. If it's not a change in occupancy classification and you're just doing a little bit of work, then it would defer to the life safety code for an existing Business occupancy classification, assuming the buiding met code at time of original construction.

Every time a code changes we don't have to tear apart buildings to meet the new code.

Of course all new installations must meet new code.

Check with your AHJ if you have one (not sure what you have out there in New Mexico).

growler

Have a small office remodel of approx. 7,200 SF, occupancy type B, with occupancy load of 72. Does this building require exit lights? It was originally build in the 80s and currently has no exit or emergency lights.

No one mentions this but it really should be the General Contractor that should be checking on this kind of thing. Most try to pass it off to the EC but it's the GC's responsibility to pass the fire safety inspection.

On an remodel of an existing office you may even have to meet ADA requirements (receptacle heights and so forth). Watch out for things like this.

mgookin

This is what it says. ? Exterior landings as required by Section 1008.1.6 for exit discharge doorways in buildings required to have two or more exits. CBC 1006.3

There's a guy on here who's a stikler for 1fc for the entire exit discharge. Exit discharge is defined as the path from the exit door to the right of way. I don't remember which member it is but I tend to agree with him.

Is the section you're citing a requirement for a switched light fixture?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
There's a guy on here who's a stikler for 1fc for the entire exit discharge. Exit discharge is defined as the path from the exit door to the right of way. I don't remember which member it is but I tend to agree with him.

Is the section you're citing a requirement for a switched light fixture?
No the section I'm talking about is that besides the switched light you have to have a battery backup (bugeye) at the exterior exits of buildings requiring two exits. But if the building requires two exits and has five exits you need one at all five exits.

I would have to check on the other. I know what you're talking about, but you can get that 1fc from anywhere, moon light, street light, etc. I don't know anyone who requires battery backup parking lot lights.

north star

# ~ ~ #

The content of the OP is a Building Code question.
Refer to Section 1006 & 1007 in the `12 IBC.

Also, ...the lighting levels and Accessibility standards
are required to extend to the "public way", ...not
the right-of-way [ RE: Section 1007.2, `12 IBC ].

From Ch. 2, `12 IBC = PUBLIC WAY: "A street,
alley or other parcel of land open to the outside air
leading to a street, that has been deeded, dedicated
or otherwise permanently appropriated to the public
for public use and which has a clear width and height
of not less than 10 feet (3048 mm). [A]"

# ~ ~ #

Last edited:

mgookin

# ~ ~ #

The content of the OP is a Building Code question.
Refer to Section 1006 & 1007 in the `12 IBC.

Also, ...the lighting levels and Accessibility standards
are required to extend to the "public way", ...not
the right-of-way [ RE: Section 1007.2, `12 IBC ].

From Ch. 2, `12 IBC = PUBLIC WAY: "A street,
alley or other parcel of land open to the outside air
leading to a street, that has been deeded, dedicated
or otherwise permanently appropriated to the public
for public use and which has a clear width and height
of not less than 10 feet (3048 mm). [A]"

# ~ ~ #

I believe a Right-Of-Way = Public Way and it's just a matter of what book you're reading.

For the context of our discussion it's the terminus of the exit discharge opposite the exit.

north star

# ~ ~ #

**mgookin**,

Thanks for your input!

Since the OP is a Building Code question, ...the book one
should be reading is the applicable Building Code in that
AHJ, ...if there is a legally adopted Building Code !

In the interest of trying to be correct & legal, assuming
there is a legally adopted Building Code in-place, ...the
correct language would be "public way" ! :thumbsup:

# ~ ~ #

Status
Not open for further replies.