Who provides Thermostat wiring?? Hvac or electrician???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt66electric

Who provides Thermostat wiring?? Hvac or electrician??? Who terminates wiring inside the eqipment for low voltage and line voltage??

The catagories are...

(a) residential new build....

(b) residential remodel / Hvac replacement...

(c) commercial new build

(d) commercial remodel.

RLyons

I always wanted to hook a door bell button to a garage door opener (which besides cable and phone is the extent of LV wiring)...but to a hvac unit would be just as amusing :lol:

ritelec

(a) them

(b) them

(c) them

(d) them

Terminate low voltage: them

Terminate line voltage : you

(unless specs state differently)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Depends on the contract specs. Generally Line voltage is the EC. other is the HVAC Contractor

mgookin

When I worked in a bldg dept we always said sparky does everything to the disco and trades can connect there - water heaters, hvac, shutter installers, etc.

That carflex whip would in that case be installed by the trade. Right or wrong, that's how we did it.

T-stat we really didn't care who ran that. The trade is going to make the connections at each end.

kwired

Electron manager
The problem I have run into is if the HVAC guy does something non compliant, since I have the electrical permit, I am the one that gets a correction notice if inspector finds it.

Biggest issues that usually come up would be running a non plenum rated cable through ducts - including running parallel with panned off floor joists for return air, improper cable support - to include supporting from power raceways or cables that are not associated with the control wiring, mixing class 2 control circuits with power wiring - is ok to pull through same bored holes with NM cables though some don't see it that way, but I'm mostly talking when they decide to sneak it in a raceway that has power wiring in it, and one that isn't all that common anymore is use of cable not identified as sunlight resistant where it needs to be. Also throw in non sunlight resistant support methods.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The common practice here is that the electricians do all of that work. The control work is normally in the HVAC contractor's bid package, but that contractor hires an electrical contractor to do the work. The EC hired to do the control work may or may not be the EC that is doing the project.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When I first started working in NC back in 1978 the electricians ran the thermostat wire. One county in the state would not allow the hvac guys to run the wire so we had to do it. The hvac guys did the termination. For some reason that all changed back in the 1980's and now the hvac guys run the t-stat wires.

I did a church back then that had 30' high ceilings and the wire had to be run up and over for the t-stats. The hvac contractor demanded that I run the wire-- I pulled out the plan and showed him where the plans state that he had to install the low voltage. He was mad-- I then reminded him that the plans also called for them to supply the bath fans-- apparently they did not figure that in their bid--- too bad. :D He got madder...hahaha

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I once told a GC who told me to wire a thermostat; "It wasn't in the contract. If you want me to do it today, I'm going to have to wire it with 14-2 Romex. If you want it done any other way, you are going to pay for my time to run to the supply house to get t-stat wire, or just have the AC guy do it when he gets here. He will have it in his truck."

masterinbama

When buying residential permits here we are allowed to check a box that we are either wiring the AC or we are opting not to . We have very few HVAC contractors here who do not posses the required license to do their own wiring. On commercial we always wire the units and depending on which sheet the t'stats show up on determines who wires them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When buying residential permits here we are allowed to check a box that we are either wiring the AC or we are opting not to . We have very few HVAC contractors here who do not posses the required license to do their own wiring. On commercial we always wire the units and depending on which sheet the t'stats show up on determines who wires them.
We do the line voltage but not the low voltage.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

commercial, i provide the raceway, and a pull string, and hvac pulls the t stat wire and does hookup.
i had one commercial building that had loooong runs in the slab, and so i just told the hvac contractor
to bring out the wire he wanted, and i'd pull it instead of the string... he was happy. and so was i,
'cause i knew that some installer who spoke no english wouldn't lose the string in the pipe and i'd
have to redo it after the drywall was in. :rant:

nicholaaaas

The problem I have run into is if the HVAC guy does something non compliant, since I have the electrical permit, I am the one that gets a correction notice if inspector finds it.

Biggest issues that usually come up would be running a non plenum rated cable through ducts - including running parallel with panned off floor joists for return air, improper cable support - to include supporting from power raceways or cables that are not associated with the control wiring, mixing class 2 control circuits with power wiring - is ok to pull through same bored holes with NM cables though some don't see it that way, but I'm mostly talking when they decide to sneak it in a raceway that has power wiring in it, and one that isn't all that common anymore is use of cable not identified as sunlight resistant where it needs to be. Also throw in non sunlight resistant support methods.
Then he fixes it. Simple

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Then he fixes it. Simple

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
Not that simple, if I am the one with electrical permit and am the one getting correction notices, it is my license and record that is at stake here. The HVAC guy that has no electrical license has nothing to lose and will not care as long as his controls perform as they are supposed to.

If I don't want to fix it then I at least need to get the inspector on board with the idea that my part of the work did not include HVAC controls and that he needs to go after whoever installed it.

It doesn't eliminate all problems for me but would lessen my problems. The fact that I have to deal with the correction order at all is still my problem. And if scope of work on the permit application doesn't indicate otherwise, why should inspector not assume all wiring (especially for a new building) isn't covered by my application?

mgookin

Not that simple, if I am the one with electrical permit and am the one getting correction notices, it is my license and record that is at stake here. The HVAC guy that has no electrical license has nothing to lose and will not care as long as his controls perform as they are supposed to.

If I don't want to fix it then I at least need to get the inspector on board with the idea that my part of the work did not include HVAC controls and that he needs to go after whoever installed it.

It doesn't eliminate all problems for me but would lessen my problems. The fact that I have to deal with the correction order at all is still my problem. And if scope of work on the permit application doesn't indicate otherwise, why should inspector not assume all wiring (especially for a new building) isn't covered by my application?

And an inspector may want a permit for each company pulling wires on that job.

ritelec

but I'm mostly talking when they decide to sneak it in a raceway that has power wiring in it,

Been a while since I worked with hvac contractors.

LOL, thank you, I forgot all about that, but now have the visions in my minds eye of opening up enclosures, boxes, nipples (which I installed) and seeing these t stat wires (and floating relays) when I didn't put it there....LOL !

Status
Not open for further replies.