pool light junction box

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Could anyone point me to a pool light j-box that has the capability to accept (2) niche light cords. I have a 3 hole j- box now but it only provides 1 of the 3 entries with a strain relief for the cord.Are these boxes designed to only accept 1 cord so you have to purchase another box for the light at the other end of the pool? The product I have now is a Hayward SP681A. Thanks for any help offered.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
They make 2 gang size JB for pool lights that will accept 2 cords. The box you have is designed for the center hole to go to the pool light and the other holes are for in and out to another box.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Nope !
680.24 specifies the construction details and also requires the box be listed and labeled as such.

I agree. The pool jb must be listed for pools. This what we see very often

junction-box.jpg

keith gigabyte

Pool j box? Are these used at near the pool shell or anywhere raceways for pools are "junctioned"? If I run 1" ridgid PVC would I be allowed to install carlon boxes like pictured above at the pump area for an above ground pool depth less than 52"?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
These are intended for pool light circuits. Lights have some special requirements (#8 ground, extra grounding terminal, cord strain reliefs), and these boxes will meet those requirements. I suppose you could use them for other things (e.g. pumps and what not), but why -- they cost much more than a regular wet or dry box.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Pool j box? Are these used at near the pool shell or anywhere raceways for pools are "junctioned"? If I run 1" ridgid PVC would I be allowed to install carlon boxes like pictured above at the pump area for an above ground pool depth less than 52"?

Most pool lights have a 30' cord but can be special ordered up to 100' I believe. The pool box must be installed to terminate the grounds and any bonds that are installed in the niche fixtures. I have seen a few lights where the niche is all plastic so I am not sure what you would do there- doesn't seem like a #8 bond is necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.