DISCONNECT SWITCHES

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This would be covered under manufacturing and / or safety guidelines. I would think something like ANSI or OSHA might possibly cover it but, I can not recall ever seeing a factory installed red or yellow disconnect.

Roger

Vickie

NFPA 79 covers that the emergency stop devices must be Red/Yellow, code 13.2. All disconnect switches that we currently receive are red/yellow however for overseas and using EN directives they state that if the main switch is not used as a "kill switch" then it must be black/grey. I am just trying to simplify stock and use one color.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
IMO a disconnect is not an emergency off device, it should be there for service reasons. Using that thought I would stay with black / gray and use a red mushroom button for the EPO switch.

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
According to NEC does the disconnect switch have to be red/yellow if there is a red/yellow kill switch installed? Machine design.
A kill switch (emergency stop) is not a disconnect. Many types of equipment will require both emergency stops and disconnect switches. Emergency stops are not required by the rules found in the NEC. Disconnect switches are required by the rules found in the NEC.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
NFPA 79 covers that the emergency stop devices must be Red/Yellow, code 13.2. All disconnect switches that we currently receive are red/yellow however for overseas and using EN directives they state that if the main switch is not used as a "kill switch" then it must be black/grey. I am just trying to simplify stock and use one color.

Using the generic term 'disconnect switch' can lead to all sorts of misinterpretations.

NFPA 70, the NEC, does not deal with the color of equipment, except for a few identifying marks on things like receptacles.

As you mentioned, both NFPA79 and EN have requirements that dictate the use of color on equipment.
However neither of these standards are required by the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.