Flourescent Luminare vs Electric-Discharge Luminaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello.
Reading around the changes to nec 2011.

In certain areas it's calling and showing flourescents as flourescents. Other times it's calling Electric-Discharge but showing flourescent.

Why?

Also, in reading about 410.24(B) (where there talking about elec.discharge but show flourescent)

the opening in the fixture has to be large to get to the outlet box. How does that work? If the opening in the fixture isn't dead on the outlet box opening, you using 3-4" ko seals and knocking out fixtures to 3-4" ?

Does anyone observe this article or just install with the 1/2" ko ?

Thank you.

iwire

Staff member
A Flouresent is a specific type of electric discharge lighting.

Metal halide, high pressure sodium, mercury vapor are all other types of discharge lighting.

ritelec

A Flouresent is a specific type of electric discharge lighting.

Metal halide, high pressure sodium, mercury vapor are all other types of discharge lighting.

Ok. I can see that. I find iit confusing though that that article would talk about electric discharge lighting as a whole I mean except for flouresents I don't see how the others would layout to fit this 3-4" opening requirement

Thank you

PetrosA

Ok. I can see that. I find iit confusing though that that article would talk about electric discharge lighting as a whole I mean except for flouresents I don't see how the others would layout to fit this 3-4" opening requirement

Thank you

Do you mean 3/4"? If so, I think you're still thinking of too small an opening. Many fluorescents and other luminaires have KOs that are like two halves of a 4" round box opening while others might have a 2" KO. I suspect that's what this is referring to. A 3/4" KO is too small to give you access to a box mounted behind it.

ritelec

Do you mean 3/4"? If so, I think you're still thinking of too small an opening. Many fluorescents and other luminaires have KOs that are like two halves of a 4" round box opening while others might have a 2" KO. I suspect that's what this is referring to. A 3/4" KO is too small to give you access to a box mounted behind it.

Yes I meant 3 to 4. Not 3/4.

Ok. Now I now the half thing you speak of

It's all good. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.