Fire Pump Tap Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transportation Guy

I need to reach out to the experts again. We are tapping into 4000amp switchgear for a fire pump. Section 695.6 (A) states that supply conductors for a fire pump shall be physically routed outside a building. 230.6(1) and (2) state embedded inside the building in concrete also is classified as outside. The exception to this code is where there are multiple sources of supply (I assume we have because we have a back up generator as well as power company with means for automatic connection from one source to the other, the requirement shall apply only to those conductors on the load side of that point of automatic connection between sources. Can anyone put this in English? The switchgear is located inside this 100 year old building, down the hall from the mechanical room. The fire pump and standby generator are located in the same mechanical room.

Attachments

• fire pump circuit.jpg
    fire pump circuit.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 0

lielec11

I think this means if you have multiple sources (either 2+ normal, or 2+ emergency), you only need to apply the rule to the load side of the transferring device. I do not think it applies to 1 normal and 1 emergency feed as it appears you have. That is how I always design it anyway, I could very well be wrong. After reading this exception I am curious to see if I have been spending my clients money for an unnecessary cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.