Sub or Main

Status
Not open for further replies.

alto3

Hi,
I'm installing a service with a main disconnect located on a detached pump house. A 40 circuit main breaker panel is installed in the house about 30 feet away. Is this panel considered a sub panel?
Thanks for your help

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Hi,
I'm installing a service with a main disconnect located on a detached pump house. A 40 circuit main breaker panel is installed in the house about 30 feet away. Is this panel considered a sub panel?
Thanks for your help

The term service is not applicable here. This is a feeder. You will need an EGC run with the feeder conductors (in addition to the neutral) and a GES at the pump house. You do not bond the neutral at the pump house, just connect the GES to the EG bar.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Depending on how many circuits you plan on connecting to the subpanel, you might want to check 225.39 about the rating.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Sounds to me like the OP is installing a meter with main disco on the pump house and the sub at the main house.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Sounds to me like the OP is installing a meter with main disco on the pump house and the sub at the main house.
That may be the case. Either way..a panel fed by another panel becomes a subpanel and texie and jumpers post are valid.. mine would not be./

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Well, that is a good question in terms of calculated load, but as far as minimum service size rules go (either NEC or POCO), they do not apply to feeders to the house. :)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
All the residential well houses I've been in usually had a single circuit feeding them, sometimes a small sub for the nicer ones. Why do you need a 40 space 200 amp panel for yours?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
we took you all the way around the world,.,.,partly my misunderstanding...
to summarize: (a) the house panel would be a sub panel, (b) you need a EGC from the pump house to the house, (c) both locations need an grounding electrode system, (d) follow Art 225 Part II as far as location, etc on the house panel, and Art 230 for the pump house (as mentioned they are similar)

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
My apology to the OP for misunderstanding and misreading your post. I think I got now-the service on the pump house with a few branches and a 200 amp feeder to the house. I'd be inclined to use a 8/16 space feed thru meter main combo. Simple and inexpensive. But it is still a feeder to the house which means a GES and unbounded neutral at the house and an EGC run with the feeder.:)

kwired

Electron manager
where is the term "sub-panel" defined in the code?
It is not in the code. However it typically would mean a panel supplied by another panel which in NEC terminology would mean it is not service equipment or a branch circuit which leaves us with it being supplied by a feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.