Grounded bushing

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
200 amp service over head single dwelling house ,with grounded bushing in meter base RMC goes through the wall 12" in to 200 amp service panel do i need a grounded bushing in the panel. all conduit is RMC.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Should not, if your loadcenter has the required bonding jumper. In this case all you are doing is bonding the service raceway and that can be accomplished on either end. You are not depending on the conduit for the fault path as the meter and loadcenter are bonded to the neutral.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Should not, if your loadcenter has the required bonding jumper. In this case all you are doing is bonding the service raceway and that can be accomplished on either end. You are not depending on the conduit for the fault path as the meter and loadcenter are bonded to the neutral.

yep.

liquidtite

I havnt done much resi , But I thought you only have to bond nuetral to ground at main disco only not at the meter ?

iwire

Staff member
I havnt done much resi , But I thought you only have to bond nuetral to ground at main disco only not at the meter ?

In most residential and even commercial the meter / CT cabinet is often before the 'main disco' so the only way to ground it is by using the grounded conductor. (Neutral ).

If you look at a meter socket the neutral terminals are usually bolted directly to the enclosure.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
While the code only requires one grounding bushing for the metallic service raceway, our utility requires one at each end.

lielec11

For my own info, the only place you are required to bond at both ends is the a GEC as per 250.64(E) correct>

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
For my own info, the only place you are required to bond at both ends is the a GEC as per 250.64(E) correct>
Not necessarily.
You need to look at what you are trying to accomplish. In this case, as noted the meter and loadcenter are both bonded by connection the the neutral (reasonable assumption on the meter), so all we are bonding is the service nipple itself and that can be accomplished by bonding either end.
Assume for a moment that we installed a wireway in the conduit run. It too would need to be bonded. We could elect to bond it by installing a separate conductor from the panel or, if we were to use the conduits as a means to bond the wireway, an approved method per 250.92 would be needed.
The same scenario might occur on >250v to ground per 250.96. A conduit run, with the conduit being used as the grounding conductor, with concentric knockouts on both ends would need a grounding bushing (or other approved means) to continue the ground continuity at both ends.
Make sense ?

Status
Not open for further replies.