Should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolfan

I have a guy, who I have known for years, that is begging me to start installing PV's. He is selling the crap out of them, and can't get them installed on a timely basis with other contractors. I know nothing about the field and already have plenty of work. Is this worth taking a look at, or should I just tell him no again? Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It's your business so you need to decide what direction you want to go. If it means giving up some reliable steady work that you have now you may not want to do this. OTOH if you want to expand and perhaps hire someone who is your PV man then it may work well.

cadpoint

Is he going to send you to his manufactures company course?

To me your getting into another field, your closer to being a general contractor
and the construction and applications are really beyond your regular scope of work,
do I need to list them? Where's their liability begin and yours end?

Roof warranties, life safety issues of being on roofs - insurance coverage of were yours starts
and the sellers ends, ah - welding, roof penetrations, who's electrical arrangement is it, is yours
the final say, and did they sell it correctly? Are they buying material?

Cool, DC; I think you'd learn things...

SolarPro

Have you studied the US solar industry growth curve?

http://www.seia.org/sites/default/files/smi-2-1.jpg

It's not uncommon for individual solar markets to experience ups and downs?that's life on the "solar-coaster"?but when viewed as a whole, the opportunity is very compelling. The largest customer base for solar generation capacity in the US right now are utilities. I'm pretty sure that solar was the second leading source of new power generation in 2013, behind natural gas.

Zee

I assume you are an electrician?
If so, I've always thought that - of all trades - they are best suited to do quality solar installs.
The roofing and structural aspects are negligible.... and if you pay attention you'll pick it up easily.

But, two big Q's for you:
1. do you like heat?
2. are you comfortable on sloped roofs and ladders?
2a. do you have a good sense of balance?

Solar is booming that is for sure.

Tag along for one install.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I have a guy, who I have known for years, that is begging me to start installing PV's. He is selling the crap out of them, and can't get them installed on a timely basis with other contractors. I know nothing about the field and already have plenty of work. Is this worth taking a look at, or should I just tell him no again? Thanks

Give him a high price and if he takes it learn and see if it's a good fit with your business..

Status
Not open for further replies.