Electrically conductive, corrosion-resistant compound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry G Brandt

NEC at 300.6A states that this compound be "approved," but I want a listed product. The only product UL lists is Kopr-Shield. The label on this product states it is an "electrically Conductive, corrosion resistant compound." This satisfies me and the customer.

My question is that I love choices. Does anyone know of another product with a label I can show?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
NEC at 300.6A states that this compound be "approved," but I want a listed product. The only product UL lists is Kopr-Shield. The label on this product states it is an "electrically Conductive, corrosion resistant compound." This satisfies me and the customer.

My question is that I love choices. Does anyone know of another product with a label I can show?

The code stops short of requiring the use of a listed compound. Crouse-Hinds has a product called STL that you can use and it is cheaper and not near a messy. If you want a listed compound, I think the one you named is the only one. Many of the anit-sieze products are also suitable for this use, but not listed for it.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
We use NO-OX-ID A-Special Electrical Grade Lubricant but I haven't checked to see if it is listed. Was recommended to us by several switchgear manufacturers when we were inquiring about maintenance practices. It has worked very well for us. Here's a link:

http://www.sanchem.com/aSpecialE.html

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Burndy Penatrox E is listed. This is one of the best products I have ever used, messy, yes. I carry a tube in my tool bag.
Yes, that product is a listed product, but it is not listed for the purpose of providing corrosion protection to the conduit threads.

The T&B product is the only UL listed product under "Electrically Conductive Corrosion-resistant Compounds" (FOIZ)
[h=2][/h]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
It sure looks like the same stuff to me, and easier to use in the squeeze tube. My brother in law said it looks like a product they use in aerospace applicaitions.
And I tried some of the NO-OX-ID A-Special Electrical, it was hard to find. Website is kind of funky, but the product has many great applications.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It sure looks like the same stuff to me, and easier to use in the squeeze tube. My brother in law said it looks like a product they use in aerospace applicaitions.
And I tried some of the NO-OX-ID A-Special Electrical, it was hard to find. Website is kind of funky, but the product has many great applications.
Tom,
I agree that there are a lot of compounds out there that are much the same as the T&B product and that will do the same job, but those companies have not paid to have their compounds tested as an "Electrically Conductive Corrosion-resistant Compound". The fact that only one company has a listed product is most likely the reason that the code uses the word "approved" and not the word "listed" in the rule.
The copper products are just so messy to use.

I have been using the Crouse-Hinds STL product for this purpose as it is not near as messy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.