Out if Ideas for NYC wiring method in light pole installed on roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvirgil467

This is for a NYC installation.

in looking through the code ammendments for NYC, i cannot seem to find an approved wiring wiring for exterior light poles, other than hard pipe (which wil not be possible to support within the light pole). The light poles are on the roof. We will need to penetrate the roof to go directly into the bottom of the light pole. Here is what i have concluded:

1.MC cable rated for wet location - NYC doesn't allow PVC coated mc unless concealed within non-plenum walls, floors and ceilings where the walls, floors and ceilings provide a thermal barrier of material that has at least a one hour rated assembly as identified in listings of fire rated assemblies. Our ceiling is open to the structure.

2. SE cable - this is a possibility. Looking into this option for branch circuit wiring.

3. LFMC - NYC limits to 6' in length. Our pole is 15' high.

4. LFNC - similar to LFMC

5. ENT - would work but exposed to outdoor temperaures and may get brittle in cold.

6. Flexible cords - NEC states cannot penetaret thorugh holes in walls and ceilings. We wil need to go thourgh the roof. In addition, cannot be instaled in raceway.

I am out of ideas for wiring methods. Other option is to assume pole is a "raceway" and install #12 AWG conductors loose in the light pole up to the fixture.

Am i missing something?

Thanks.
c

Smart $

Esteemed Member
.... Other option is to assume pole is a "raceway" and install #12 AWG conductors loose in the light pole up to the fixture. ...
This is how pole lights are wired around here, other than wire size may vary depending on circuit rating.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Can you use the coated MC and change over to a different wiring method where it penetrates the underside of the deck? I've heard of guys removing the black coating on the exposed portion of the cable above a hung ceiling. :roll:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I think the OP should do as she suggested and just use the pole as the raceway. Just stub up the raceway type of choice. See 410.30(B) for requirements.

darekelec

If those poles are on deck i would use alu RMC (with grounding conductor) and stub up home runs and use pole as raceway. with possible change over to lfmc 6' max for flexibility. If this was a thru roof penetration i would use mc thhn/thwn and run cable directly thru roof and pole (also home runs to some splice box).
If it was a super fancy deck i would put it on load side gfci.
If it was on light dimming system I would not know if dimming module inside apartment is considered "an outlet" thus has to be afci protected.

One time ConEd inspector tells me that his workers would need a pole to grab onto to climb platform to comply with OSHA and I tell him that 'Yeah, I will be here and I am a Pole' (Polish). :D

cvirgil467

There wil be slight water infiltration into the pole due to rain from the installation of the pole and light fixture. I wouldn't feel comfortable installing anyting but "wet" rated conductors and raceway.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
why is the inside of the light pole a wet location?

The poles are outside the building? :blink:

If raceways are a wet location, presumably the inside of the pole is too.

poles are a structure just like any other structure. why would the inside of a structure have to be considered a wet area?

raceways are only that way because the code says so, not because they actually are.
410.30(B) says you can use the pole as a raceway. Therefore it is an outside raceway.

If you want to run conduit up through the pole and terminate at the luminaire enclosure, meeting all the requirements for bend radius and/or accessible conduit bodies, be my guest... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.