Are wire troughs required to be UL listed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcsnsparks98

Good morning. First time poster but long time follower. The company I work for had this box built for use as a wire trough. It is 22 gauge sheetmetal. According to UL 870, a 24" x 24" x 72" enclosure must be 12 gauge. I found a code requirement for minimum thickness of cutout boxes but I dont believe the article applies to troughs. Surely this isnt acceptable protection for seven runs of 500kcmil (no OCP) feeding a 2500 amp switchgear. Can anyone point me to a code enforcement reference pertaining to this installation?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1407503204828.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1407503204828.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 9

iwire

Staff member
If it was indoors there is no listing requirement.

It looks outdoors so this applies.

376.10 Uses Permitted. The use of metal wireways shall be permitted in the following:

(3) In hazardous (classified) locations as permitted by 501.10(B) for Class I, Division 2 locations; 502.10(B) for Class II, Division 2 locations; and 504.20 for intrinsically safe wiring. Where installed in wet locations, wireways shall be listed for the purpose.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMO, in addition tom the post above, all equipment installed must be approved per 110.2 & 110.3. UL (NRTL) labels withstanding, the AHJ would still need to approve the installation.

side note: difficult to determine dimensions and, obviously, conductor routing has not been established but from the picture I'd say careful attention to
314.28 is in order:" The distance between raceways of the same conductor shall not be less than six times ........ size of the larger raceway."

arcsnsparks98

It is in fact the same gauge metal as duct work. The dimensions are two by two by six feet. And as far as conduit support, its a little of both. Tne seven conduits on the right feed into the seven nipples on the right. The four conduits on the left carry two 600 amp feeds out of the building. There are several 1" conduits that will be penetrating the top left of the box.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
Good morning. First time poster but long time follower. The company I work for had this box built for use as a wire trough. It is 22 gauge sheetmetal. According to UL 870, a 24" x 24" x 72" enclosure must be 12 gauge. I found a code requirement for minimum thickness of cutout boxes but I dont believe the article applies to troughs. Surely this isnt acceptable protection for seven runs of 500kcmil (no OCP) feeding a 2500 amp switchgear. Can anyone point me to a code enforcement reference pertaining to this installation?

That is the flimsiest...rattiest looking trough I have ever seen! Have a real one made....and please return the duct guy's stollen property....lol

stephena

I would agree that 110.2 on approval by AHJ along with the last sentence of 90.4. Also 376 doesn't require the trough to be listed "unlike 378.6 for nonmetallic wireways" but definitely augie 47 is right on getting it approved before you install is.

iwire

Staff member
I would agree that 110.2 on approval by AHJ along with the last sentence of 90.4. Also 376 doesn't require the trough to be listed "unlike 378.6 for nonmetallic wireways" but definitely augie 47 is right on getting it approved before you install is.

When installed in a wet location listing is required.

PetrosA

Around here not even good ol' Lick-n-Stick would accept that hunka. If I were told by an employer to install it, I'd be looking for a different employer. What's next, Dixie Cups as wallcases? :slaphead:

david

376.120 Marking.
Metal wireways shall be so marked that their manufacturer?s name or trademark will be visible after installation.

314.44 Marking.
All boxes and conduit bodies, covers, extension rings, plaster rings, and the like shall be durably and legibly marked with the manufacturer?s name or trademark.

378.120 Marking.
Nonmetallic wireways shall be marked so that the manufacturer?s name or trademark and interior cross-sectional area in square inches shall be visible after installation. Marking for limited smoke shall be permitted on the nonmetallic wireways that have limited smoke-producing characteristics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.