Need a reason why not to put an eyewash near electrical panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMAN52

First off, I don't see the problem with this situation. A question arose at a manufacturing facility that we do contract electrical work at. The head of maintenance wants us to find a reason to not put an eyewash near an electrical panel. The head of safety wants one there. I cant find any NEC code that doesn't allow an eyewash station. There is a electric forklift battery charger next to it, but they do not refill the batteries there. Can someone give me some direction?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That's just it. I cant find a reason not to. I'm being asked to find a reason not to.

You are being dragged into a dispute that does not have an electrical solution that will satisfy your boss. Not a good position to be in.
But we cannot help you find a code justification when none exists.

I suppose that is the eyewash station is reasonably expected to splash water on the panel whenever it is used, you could argue that it would require you to go to wet rated equipment enclosures and that would be prohibitively expensive. But that is a real stretch IMHO.

kentirwin

This is an issue that came up in my workplace facility shortly after I started here as my employer's electrical safety person. My response was, "Not an issue."

kwired

Electron manager
They eye wash station (hopefully) has more water pass through it from testing it then it ever has pass through it because of a real need for it's intended purpose.

wtucker

The head of safety wants one there. I cant find any NEC code that doesn't allow an eyewash station. There is a electric forklift battery charger next to it, but they do not refill the batteries there. Can someone give me some direction?

Tell 'em OSHA doesn't require it. The safety guy hasn't dug into 29 CFR 1910.151(c), the OSHA requirement for eyewashes in general industry. OSHA Interpretation STD 01-08-002 (https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=DIRECTIVES&p_id=1793) says, at paragraph E.2.d., d. "...in commercial and manufacturing facilities at locations where powered industrial trucks are parked for overnight storage and routine battery recharging only, no need for emergency facilities exists unless potential exposure to electrolyte is substantiated. Where exposure is possible (i.e., servicing batteries) the provisions of E.2.b and E.2.e. should be evaluated for applicability."

Why spend the money when it's not necessary?

kwired

Electron manager
If exposure to the battery electrolyte is expected to normally happen, that potentially makes the electrical panel in a corrosive location. Maybe go with that line of thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.