Feeder conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Just be sure that what you call feeder conductors are not in fact service conductors. Service conductors (unprotected by source OCPD) would be considered to be inside the dwelling the whole way, and most inspectors would have problems with that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Just be sure that what you call feeder conductors are not in fact service conductors. Service conductors (unprotected by source OCPD) would be considered to be inside the dwelling the whole way, and most inspectors would have problems with that.

With mobile homes the service conductors are on the pole outside the trailer so it is my guess that they would be feeders. No problem in NC doing that type of install

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
On a related not keep this requirement in mind.
(here in the land of "homeowner permits" that one bites at least one a month)

1) Feeder conductors shall consist of either a listed cord, factory installed in accordance with 550.10(B), or a permanently installed feeder consisting of four insulated, color-coded conductors that shall be identified by the factory or field marking of the conductors in compliance with 310.110. Equipment grounding conductors shall not be identified by stripping the insulation.

kwired

Electron manager
Is it permissible to run feeder conductors in PVC conduit under a mobile home in North Carolina?
First I have to agree with what Golddigger said - be careful what you are calling feeder conductors and don't confuse service conductors with feeder conductors.

After clearing that up - I have never run into a mobile home that didn't have the feeder enter from the space below the home, making it nearly impossible to feed the home if the feeder is not run below the home.

Perhaps your question was not specific enough to what you wanted to ask about?

grizzly

Feeder conductors

I was referring to the four (4) conductors that run from the main breaker, located next to meter socket, and the sub-panel inside.

kwired

Electron manager
I was referring to the four (4) conductors that run from the main breaker, located next to meter socket, and the sub-panel inside.
Like I said before, almost every mobile home out there is designed to feed from below, wouldn't make sense to design them that way if the feeder wasn't allowed under the mobile home would it?

Now that doesn't mean it shouldn't still follow securing and supporting requirements of whatever wiring method is involved, just laying a raceway on the ground under the home is not acceptable, strapping it to the frame or proper depth burial is allowed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
His question is if it is allowed in PVC in NC, not whether the feeder is allowed. Art. 550.15(H)(1) is the article in question. There is sn't an amendment against using PVC in NC

(H) Under-Chassis Wiring (Exposed to Weather). Where
outdoor or under-chassis line-voltage (120 volts, nominal,
or higher) wiring is exposed to moisture or physical damage,
it shall be protected by rigid metal conduit or intermediate
metal conduit, except as provided in (1) or (2). The
conductors shall be suitable for wet locations.
(1) Where closely routed against frames and equipment
enclosures, reinforced thermosetting resin conduit
(RTRC) listed for aboveground use, Type MI cable,
electrical metallic tubing, or rigid polyvinyl chloride
conduit (PVC) shall be permitted.
(2) Where extending vertically from a direct-burial depth
of at least 457 mm (18 in.) below grade and terminated
to a factory-installed conduit or enclosure, Schedule 80
PVC or RTRC listed for exposure to physical damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.