2-2-2-4 AL SER ampacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Ok, so anyone know the ampere rating of #2AL in the 2014? So far from older code cycles I am getting 90, 80, and 75amps. :blink:

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Not sure which version you are considering old...but i have the 2008, 2011, and 2014 sitting here and all show 75, 90, and 100 depending on the temperature ratings (60,75 or 90). Now I won't speculate on anything other than basically what you are asking...because when i do...whamo...i get opened up for anything...:roll:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Not sure which version you are considering old...but i have the 2008, 2011, and 2014 sitting here and all show 75, 90, and 100 depending on the temperature ratings (60,75 or 90). Now I won't speculate on anything other than basically what you are asking...because when i do...whamo...i get opened up for anything...:roll:

Should have been more specific. 2005, 2008, 2011:lol::p

This is a genuine subpanel feeder, so the entire dwelling load is not on it.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
It depends on how it is used. Is this a feeder for the entire home or is it run thru insulation?

Small section goes through R-14 fiberglass insulation, the other part runs on basement rafters. Feeder comes from the 200amp basement panel with main disconnect.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Check out 338.10(B)(4) and it will be helpful to you in your quest.

Man, I sound like Confucius or something...gesh

jetlag

100 amp for service entrance

100 amp for service entrance

You can use 2-2-2-4 for a 100 amp service entrance because they let you go one size under on that because everything is not likely to be ran all at once . For a sub-panel they don't cut you any slack . Around here if you put a 90 amp breaker for the sub-panel they tend to ignore the insulation type .

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You can use 2-2-2-4 for a 100 amp service entrance because they let you go one size under on that because everything is not likely to be ran all at once . For a sub-panel they don't cut you any slack . Around here if you put a 90 amp breaker for the sub-panel they tend to ignore the insulation type .

Well sort of!
Where does it say no for a sub panel.
As long as the sub panel carries the entire load of the dwelling is served by this feeder then #2 AL 100 amps is OK for a sub panel too.

For example :

Service (meter/ Main) to sub in dwelling.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
umm....wait.....reverse that Mr. Wonka

2 AWG at 90C is 100 amps but at 75C which is often what you must use it is rated 90 amps

And this assumes no insulation around the cable assembly?

But, when I use the 60 degree column, does that mean I use a 70 or 80 amp breaker since it comes out as 75 amps?

Sorry for all the head scratching:lol::ashamed1:

jetlag

Well sort of!
Where does it say no for a sub panel.
As long as the sub panel carries the entire load of the dwelling is served by this feeder then #2 AL 100 amps is OK for a sub panel too.

For example :

Service (meter/ Main) to sub in dwelling.
You are correct , it doesn't say no for sub panel exactly . When I said service entrance I meant with or without an outside disconnect . I know with a separate disconnect the box would would become a sub-panel . It is still considered the main panel. If you leave from the main to another panel is when they frown on the 100 amp . Don't forget if they get nit pic with you , you might have to drop the insulation rating down one since ser is enclosed in an outer sheath .

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You are correct , it doesn't say no for sub panel exactly . When I said service entrance I meant with or without an outside disconnect . I know with a separate disconnect the box would would become a sub-panel . It is still considered the main panel. If you leave from the main to another panel is when they frown on the 100 amp . Don't forget if they get nit pic with you , you might have to drop the insulation rating down one since ser is enclosed in an outer sheath .

You can have a Sub panel 50 feet away. it still would be compliant as long as the entire load is on that feeder. ( depends on the code cycle)
Years ago it was ok even if you had other loads. Furthermore you never have to be larger than the service conductors.

jetlag

sub panel

sub panel

You can have a Sub panel 50 feet away. it still would be compliant as long as the entire load is on that feeder. ( depends on the code cycle)
Years ago it was ok even if you had other loads. Furthermore you never have to be larger than the service conductors.

I agree with all that , you know a lot of outside disconnects have a few breaker spaces . We use those all the time in rural area for the well pump and storage buildings . I know , that means entire load is no longer on the sub-panel . I have never seen any one get flagged by the inspector for that. I assumed he had a 200 amp main panel and was not connecting a 100 amp sub to a 100 amp main panel , but like you say in that case the ser could be the same for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.