required illumination

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

Can anyone point me to where I could find exterior lighting requirements for a firehouse. Residents are complaining about too much light and I've been contacted to address the situation. I don't want to remove or replace with lesser illumination than required.

Use baffles or shades to confine the light to within the property lines. Aluminum flashing is a good material,

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The amount of light required at the points of egress will be found in the building codes. The lights that are normally installed for this purpose often far exceed what the building codes require.

north star

= ( ) =

mjf,

As
**don_resqcapt19** mentioned, the requirements for exterior lighting
can be found in the building codes.........That said, I agree that [ typically ]
most exterior lighting is far above what is required.

In some jurisdictions the local ordinances have a limitation on what
amount of illumination can cross property lines [ ex: - under canopy
illumination at petroleum filling stations parking lot that disrupts traffic,
... parking lot illumination at multi-family housing that is offensive to an
adjacent property, etc. ].

IMO, you have 2 options.........
(1) hire an illumination engineer to take
readings of just much illumination there actually is at each property line,
or
(2) go ahead and install lower wattage fixtures and \ or deflectors on
any fixtures.

= ( ) =

Ragin Cajun

What causes more issues than the light level is the spill light.

The traditional "light bomb" where light goes out everwhere, expecially straight out are horrible!!!

Use "cut off" fixtures mounted at a height such that the cut-off line is just inside the property line. Placement is critical.

I'm not sold on LED's for this as the net light output, IMHO, is inadequate, and they are priced out of sight. They will "get there" eventually, but have a ways to go.

Don't forget that at each exit door, TWO emergency light heads are required, NOT one. Emergency lights are a good place to use LED's. Put remote heads on the exterior with the battery pack inside so you don't lose battery capacity in cold weather.

RC

mgookin

We are in the lighting industry; in fact that's all we do.

With lighting you have, as has been mentioned, a building code requirement for means of egress illumination.

But then you have planning departments (who wants things cute), environmental restrictions (bald eagle nesting areas, sea turtles, etc.), crime prevention (cut down all the trees and make sure the sun never sets), and on and on.

I suggest you start with the electric plans examiner for the jurisdiction and ask what requirement or restrictions he is aware of for that particular parcel; those guys know everything and I say that from experience having had them as my employees. Then from there develop your cure plan for the situation you are faced with.

Brian S.

light optics led

light optics led

Led wall packs and area lights from various companies do offer options for different wattage and optics. Cree, Hubble .Led optics are a lot more precise than MH and HPS reflector placements. you can take the ies files and throw them in a photometric program like Visual or dialux and see exactly where your light will end. visual is easier to use. some municipalities are requires that outdoor fixtures be dark sky compliant, and no light trespassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.